Kickin' It In The Sticks

There I was, standing on the dark pavement of the driveway, yelling at the top of my lungs, "Robbie, if you leave, do not come back!"

"You should have thought about all this before you answered your phone and talked to him." He spat at me, both visibly and audibly intoxicated.

"I hate you, you know that? I really do. I hate you!" I shouted, running back in to the house. The next thing I knew, I heard a loud screeching of truck tires. Good, I thought to myself. He is fucking gone. The asshole. I grabbed my army green colored purse and headed out the door. No sooner did I get to the end of the driveway preparing to walk home, when I heard sirens in the distance. I started to panic a little. No, that's too quick of a time frame I muttered under my breath. The sirens were growing louder and louder.....

I jumped up, covered in sweat, panting.

"It was just a dream. Oh my Lord, it was just a dream." I sighed, brushing my side swept bangs out of my darkened eyes. I sat in complete silence, trying to catch my breath. It felt so real again. I thought I was over these dreams, no not dreams, nightmares really. Placing my head in my hands, I began to feel defeated. Maybe momma was right. Maybe I should go see a therapist.

There was a knock at my door. A second later, Lauren came in carrying a coffee from Cream & Shuga for me.

"Just how you like it," She smiled brightly, until she saw my expression, "Another one?"

I just shook my head, taking the coffee from her. Lauren reached over and patted my cheek softly, "You are a strong, independent woman, Nora. It will all be okay. But maybe you should seek help. I mean, that's not the worst thing in the world, you know?"

I took a swig of my drink, relishing in the warm liquid sliding down my dry throat. We sat in comfortable silence for quite awhile before she spoke up.

"I ran in to a few people at the coffee shop." She eyed me with her baby blues then looked down at my comforter, "And when I say a few people, what I REALLY mean is I ran in to Brantley at the coffee shop."

I just looked at her, "And?"

"And.... He told me they were all heading to the pond on his property to go swim and ride four- wheelers. He invited us. I think we should go."

"Uh uh, I don't think I'm down for that."

"Whyyyyy not?" Lauren whined, setting her drink down on my night stand.

"Because, I just lost Robbie not too long ago. These boys are a little rowdy. I can't handle it right now."

"But Norrraaa," She always dragged out my name when she wanted to get her way, which always happened I might add.

I shook my head no.

"Fine, but you are hurting Brantley's feelings just so you know. He invited you by name."

I stared at her again. Was she for real. Like that would get me to go.

"Plus, I kind of have a thing for Kolby. I don't wanna go alone." She tucked a strand of her dirty blonde hair behind her ear, looking around.

"Oh my gosh, is Lauren Maguire really being shy about a boy? That never, never, ever happens!" I nudged her, playing around.

"Oh, hush! Now will you go.... please?" She was trying to hide her blushing cheeks, only to fail.

"Fine, but only because you want to see Kolby. That is all." I huffed. She squealed in delight and ran down stairs to let me get ready.

I took another sip of my coffee before getting out from under all my blankets and heading to my closet. I pulled out a pair of my torn up jeans and a white and blue baseball style 3/4 sleeve tee. I headed in to the shower quickly, realizing I would just have to shower when I got home anyway. I was ready in a record twenty-five minutes, slipping my camo rubber boots on. They practically came up to my knees, as I stood at five foot tall. I threw my Yankees baseball cap on and made my way down the old oak stairs.

I kissed my momma on the forehead as she read the local morning newspaper. 

"Be safe, but more importantly, have fun. It's good for...."

"The soul. I know momma. Thank you." I smiled at her and walked out the door.

About fifteen minutes later, we arrived at the black rod iron gates of the Gilbert's property again. This time they were open. Lauren drove us up the long drive and parked in the same spot as last night.

We both got out of her truck, looking around for everyone. You could hear the four-wheelers spinning around in the mud in the distance. One sounded closer as I turned around. There he was. That black baseball cap, black Carhartt tee, and those silver rings.

"Afternoon, ladies." He tipped his hat in our direction.

"Hey Brant...." Lauren replied. I just stood there shyly looking down at the ground.

" Kolby is up there with the rest of them, but I can give you guys a ride up that way if you want."

"Yes, well.... Nora here would love a ride. I am gonna go up in the house and change first. I'll meet ya'll up there." Lauren ran up the deck stairs before I could object to anything. I sighed, shaking my head.

"Are you going to hop on?" Brantley asked, gesturing to the seat behind him. "I told you, I don't bite...."

"Yeah, yeah I got you. Unless it's something I am in to. Hands to yourself." I hopped on the back of Brantley's four-wheeler, making sure to leave a little room between him and I.

He jerked the four-wheeler forward and hit the brake fast, forcing me to bump in to his back hard, wrapping my arms around his torso. He just growled a low chuckle and began slowly up the hill. Well played, Mr. Gilbert, well played.

hope you guys enjoy! :)