Chapter 19: The Penguin

Start from the beginning

"What's the catch here?"

"I ask for only two things". You shrugged. "I want your protection in return. And that includes money to provide for myself and my snakes."

Oswald glanced at your snakes, then back at you. He couldn't help think that you're interesting. "Done. What else?"

"I want you to help me find out who I am". You spoke in a soft voice. His brows furrowed in confusion, glancing at Butch who was confused as well. They stared at you as you continued to speak. "I.. I don't know who exactly am I. Shiba, here, was the one who told me what my name was. I don't anything else. Not my family or friends.... Do you know how it feels to not even remember your own parents? I don't even know if I was abandoned or loved by mother and father"

Oswald looked at you as a single tear fell from your eye. He may have grown up with only his mother, but when he reunited with his father he knew that he loved him. So he can not relate to you, but he knows how it feels to lose your loved ones. The snakes gathered at your feet to comfort you. You look so vulnerable and fragile. You're a teenager but you're just a child in Oswald's eyes. He hates children. And he hates crying children even more. It made him feel like he needed to comfort you in some sort.

He looked at Butch for help but neither of them knew what to do. He decided to settle on a pat on the shoulder. The snakes didn't hiss or make a sound. It surprised you. They never trust anyone to go near you. Looking up at Oswald, you smiled and mouthed a thank you.

"You... You're right" Oswald began, "About everything. I don't know what it feels like to have amnesia but I lost the only people who could love me".

"You're parents" You stared as Oswald's eyes sadden and he nodded. You placed your hand on his shoulder. He smiled at the sign of sympathy.

"I agree to your deal" He looked at you. A smile formed on his lips as he took your hands into his. "And in the meantime, you can stay here for as long as you want"

"Thank you" You gave him a wide smile. "Thank you, Mr. Cobblepot"

"Please, call me Oswald" He grinned. "Friend".

He turned to Butch, grinning. The tall man stared at the both of you. He wondered what Oswald has in store for you. He also doesn't know whether or not to trust you. The snakes looked at you as you continued to smile at both of them.

After you were shown to your room, Butch entered Oswald's office. The man sat in his chair, looking at his deceased father's painting. Butch remained where he stood. "She seems like a nice girl. Creeps me the hell out, but nice"

"Keep an eye on her" Oswald spoke, standing up and turning to the other man. "We still don't know if she could be working for Fish".

"Understood boss".

-----

The next following days went by as quick as a flash. You would wake up earlier than anyone else in the house to make breakfast, leaving a note to inform them that you have gone to Fish Mooney. You would sneak into Mooney's hideout, not getting noticed, and spend the day with her. By night, you would wait until everyone is asleep before sneaking off again. If you were caught by any of the others, you would make up a quick lie. Most of the time it worked, other times you would knock them unconscious and drag them somewhere far from the hideout. After that, you wouldn't hear from them for some time until you hear that they were caught and turned in to the GCPD.

You closed the door behind you, sighing as you just barely made it back into Oswald's home. You noticed the living room lit up. Walking in, you spotted Oswald sitting by the fireplace. He held pieces of paper in his hand. "Oswald..?"

"Where did you get these?" He asked, looking up at you. He held up the pieces of paper to your face. You grabbed them and noticed that they were the recipes you based the breakfast dishes on. "Answer me!"

You jumped. "T-The study room. They were hidden in this journal"

Oswald sighed, placing his hand on his forehead. You could tell he was lost in thought. He looked sad and angry. Placing the paper down on the coffee table, you knelt down to look at him in the eye. He felt you touch his arm, your other hand on his knee. He turned to you. You looked worried. "What is it, Oswald?"

"I-It's nothing". He shook your hands off, crossing his legs. You placed your hands on your lap. "It's just... those recipes were my mother's".

"Oh" You knew Oswald's mother has passed, but he rarely talks about her when you're around. You glanced up at him. "I didn't know... I'm sorry"

"It's fine". He spoke. "I didn't even know my father had kept spares of her recipes anyway".

Silence filled the room. Oswald still looked sadden when talking about her. You couldn't help but want to cheer him up. So, you asked a simple question. "What was she like?"

"What?" He turned to you, eyes widen.

"Your mother" You smiled. "What was she like? I understand if you don't want to talk -"

"No, it's okay". Your smile grew slightly as he began to talk about his mother. It was the first time he looked so happy. He spoke about her as if she was his world. Well, she was his world. He did everything for her. He just wanted to make her happy. But someone just had to take her away from him. He began to cry as he remembered everything she did for him. You wrapped your arms around his neck, hugging him close. Your hands softly stroked his hair in a calming manner. "Shh, it's okay Oswald". You spoke. "It's okay".

The older man began to calm down. Your hug felt so warm like his mother's. It made him want to cry even more. He hugged you back. The last person to make him feel safe, that was not his mother, was his father. But even he was taken from Oswald. He has only been loved by a few so it's hard for him to accept people. So this was new to him.

After fully calming down, the two of you released each other. Oswald stared into your eyes. You looked at him with a bit of worry, but at the same time, you looked at him with admiration. You looked up to Oswald. He was the first person who gave you a chance. If weren't for him, you would probably be stuck with Fish and her plot to take back Gotham. That isn't something you want to do, and you know that they would kill you for not siding with them. You're gambling your life by siding with Oswald, but you don't regret it one bit.

"It's fine if you keep those recipes". He gave you a small smile, which you returned back.

"I'll make sure to cook your favorite". You stood up and began to leave. "It's getting late, we should go to sleep".

"I will, I just got a few things to finish". He nodded. You bid him goodnight before leaving the room.

Butch entered Oswald's office. His boss was sitting behind his desk, looking up as he walked in. "You called me, boss"

"Where are we in (y/n)'s background check?" Oswald asked. Butch sighed and bowed his head in defeat.

"If I'm going to be honest, not that well". He began to explain. "There's barely any records on her in Gotham. She isn't from here. Why?"

"I decided that she could be trusted". Oswald stood up. "And I also decided to take her under my wing as my apprentice".