A Little Bit of Spunky Heroine

'Sci-Fi ain't just about big guns and big tits

'Sci-Fi ain't just about big guns and big tits.'

Now I'm fairly certain that's an original line that I came up with. I might be wrong but at the end of the day it doesn't matter because it's the truth. Unless, that is, we're talking about the Spunky Heroine sub-genre of science fiction. 

If you're writing Spunky Heroine SF, your protagonist - the aforementioned spunky heroine - should be completely and totally badass, so hardcore and over-the-top she borders on the absurdly cliched.

There's nothing she can't do, or at least have a damn good go at. She's smoking hot, incredibly limber, possesses a reasonably high level of intelligence and she could probably break both of your arms in a fight before you've even managed to get out of the blocks. Not all Spunky Heroines possess all of those qualities, of course, but a sizable proportion thereof.

What d'you think? Does she sound like your kinda' crumpet?

The Spunky Heroine sub-genre of Science Fiction is attempting - and succeeding - to rewrite the popular themes of much science fiction. Women aren't delicate wee flowers that need a strapping young lad to rescue them at every turn; they're not bimbos with limited intelligence. No, they're Captain Janeway and Katniss Everdeen, Chiana and Kristine Kochanski, Zoe Washburne and Buffy Summers.

So read on, 'troopers, read on, and enjoy what the Spunky Heroine sub-genre has to offer!