04

It takes grace to remain Kind in cruel Situations↠

Kind in cruel
Situations

Abby paces the room, beads of sweat coating her forehead. Though Valour is anxious too, she sits, instead bitting her bottom lip, and fiddling with her fingers.

"Abby, how about I pace in the operating room next time your working"? Raven says with slight annoyance.

Before Abby can reply, a beeping comes from the screen she holds which she answers immediately.

"Abby, did you take morphine from the clinic"? Jackson's voice questions from the other side of the screen.

Both Valour and Raven snap their heads in the direction of the women.

"They inventoried already"? She asks quickly.

It snaps in place in Valour's mind—how Abby was able to get the pressure regulator when she failed.

"No, Kane was just here. He's on his way to Mecha to arrest both of you right now"!

Valour tenses. Right now, her father walks on his way to arrest both Abby, and Raven. Surly she'll be arrested too aiding both criminals. They're all over the age of eighteen, which means unlike the juveniles they'll be floated within hours.

"You gave Nygel morphine"? Raven asks.

"She turned me in". Abby's voice is barley a whisper from where Valour sits.

"How much longer"? She questions Raven, a rush in her voice.

Valour stands, joining the two with her arms crossed over her chest.

"20 minutes". Raven replies back.

A jolt of excitement fills Valour, followed by fear. Yes they can get to Earth, but will they? Her father would be here much sooner.

"They're gonna be here in 5". Abby answers Valour's silent question.

Abby moves from the two, before turning on her heels. "No matter what happens, you launch that pod".

Her eyes are filled with determination, a fire that reminds Valour so much of her mom. A look that seems to ignite a match within Valour.

"Do you understand"? She questions.

"We're not going without you". Raven shakes her head.

Abby's eyes dart from Raven, to Valour who's stands silently.
"Three-hundred innocent people will die if you don't. Once you get to the ground, find those kids, and radio back".

A tinge fills Valour at Abby's words. If she doesn't go with them, there's no chance they'll let her live.

"They'll float you". Valour speaks up. "Let me distract them, hold them off long enough for you two to launch".

Maybe this is her calling, to join her mother, and the hundreds of others floated over the years. To die in space, the only home she's ever known.

"No". Abby's voice is firm, and decided.

"Yes, please". Valour says with desperation . "I lost my mom, and there wasn't a single thing I could've done to save her. I can save you, Clarke can still have a mom. You'll be more use to them down there, what am I but dead weight? I haven't even started my internship yet".

Abby shakes her head, grasping at Valour's hand. "I promised Lyanna-I promised your mom, I would watch over you. And I intend to keep that promise". Abby says softly. "You are so much more then you give yourself credit for".

Her words are words she's craved since her moms death. Craved to hear her father say, and it brings tears stinging in her eyes.

"You are just like her, kind, smart, caring. So much like my Clarke too.... Tell her... Tell her I love her".

Abby grabs at both girls, bringing them into her embrace, like a mother ready to protect her young against a fight she knows she'll loose. As they pull apart, the tears in Abby's eyes are clear, as she squeezes both girls hands, fighting off the ache to cry.

"May we meet again". Abby says, letting go, and fleeing the area.

Valour is once again filled with a void of loss. Her and Abby were never the closest, but she was the closest person she had to a mother, and just like her own, she'd be executed for doing what was right. But she wouldn't let it be in vain. She'd help save those people, she'd save as many lives as she could. And that started with them getting to the ground. Raven fiddles with the pressure regulator, which causes a pressure of air to explode from the device.

"Damn it"! Raven hits the part.

"What"? Valour questions.

"She gave us a bad part".

Of course she did.
Valour looks around the room, trying to think of something-anything that could help them. That's when her eyes fall over the two spacesuits hanging on the wall.

"What about those"? She gestures to the suit.

Raven moves her eyes to the duo, a knowing look Filling her eyes. "You just saved us Kane".

They rattle around in the ship, sweat gathering on both girls foreheads. Butterflies fill Valour's stomach as they hurtle through space, the big green and blue planet so close. Stars twinkle around them, as if saying goodbye, you're not alone. It inches closer with each passing second. They did it. They escaped the ark, the guards, her father, and Grey.

Earth, here they come.