Bring it.

Lily crouched behind the large oak tree, using all of her newly heightened senses to track her prey

Lily crouched behind the large oak tree, using all of her newly heightened senses to track her prey. It was amazing all the things she could smell now. Of course, a heightened sense of smell wasn't always a blessing, but mostly it was. In this case, it came in handy. 

 She tensed in anticipation. Her prey was getting closer now, moving silently through the woods. If not for the scent brought to her on the wind, she would never have known. She waited, poised on the balls of her feet, ready. It had to be the opportune moment. Then, she pounced. 

Lily slammed into Damien with force, knocking him to the ground with her newfound strength, giggling as they fell to the forest floor. The surprise on his face was priceless and she couldn't help laughing full force even when he recovered from his surprise and flipped them around so that he was on top and had her pinned down. 

"Oh my God, your face!" She managed to choke out the words. She was laughing so hard she was getting a stitch in her side. His severe expression was completely undermined by the smile he was struggling to hold back. 

"You surprised me little one, but you did not follow through with your attack. You wasted the element of surprise and now you are at my mercy." She calmed and grinned up at him. 

"Did I? How do you know I wasn't just trying to seduce you?" She wriggled beneath him to emphasize her point. His eyes heated and a low growl rumbled through his chest. 

"You do not need to try, you simply need to be around for that to happen, minx." Lily pouted up at him. 

"Really, because I'm around you all the time and it doesn't usually end up in a successful seduction," Damien smirked down at her, then leaned in and kissed her, gently at first but with increasing intensity. Things went from lighthearted to deadly serious in a moment. His kiss demanded total response. His hard body, rigid and pressing into her heated her blood, demanding her surrender. 

She relaxed against him, embracing him and accepting whatever he was up for. Lily was more than ready to take things to the next level. He was driving her crazy with his waiting. It was almost as if he were holding off to see if she would bolt or something. She was hoping this might be the moment he allowed things to go to the next level. 

But, as usual, he pulled back and pulled away from her, sitting up in a crouching position as he looked down at her. She pouted up at him. 

"There isn't anyone around, Damien. Why did you stop?" 

"You aren't ready." He murmured. 

"Isn't that for me to say?" 

"You have yet to master your wolf, and your wolf has yet to accept me. That is how I know you are not ready." He stood up completely and offered his hand. Lily reluctantly took it and let him pull her up into a standing position, still pouting. But this time, the pout was because he was right. She hadn't faced her wolf yet. 

To be honest the inner beast scared her, not because she was worried it would hurt her but because she worried it would take over and she'd never manage to regain control. 

"How do I keep control of her?" She questioned him as they began walking through the forest. He considered her question for a long, quiet moment. 

"It's not so much about controlling her. It's more about becoming one with her. Think of it like reaching an agreement or an alliance where you both work together, where your goals are her goals. It's a mutual sharing of body and spirit, not a domination of one over the other."  His voice was gentle and introspective as he advised her. 

"How would I go about becoming 'one' with her?" Lily questioned. 

"You must take some time and talk to her. 

"What, like meditation?"

"Something like that. This area is protected from Hunters little one, take some time and connect with your wolf. Know that I will be nearby." He took her chin between his thumb and forefinger and tilted her head up, kissing her gently. Then he was walking away, disappearing in the trees. 

Lily sighed and looked around. Finally, she found a fallen log and sat down gingerly on it, taking in the trees with their leaves waving mildly in the gentle breeze, the dappled sunlight making its way through the branches of the trees to the forest floor. The wildlife all around her. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and sought inside herself. 

It wasn't long before her consciousness met another one. Her. Immediately the wolf began trying to take over. It took a few moments of internal battle before Lily understood that her inner wolf's reaction was that of a caged wild animal wanting freedom desperately. 

No wonder she hadn't been able to control herself well. She was basically holding her wolf captive. If Lily were forced to be in a cage all the time, she would be clawing for freedom too. 

"Alright, let's calm down and lets run the forest together." She murmured. The inner wolf seemed to calm and there was a sense of waiting. She opened her eyes and called for her wolf, giving in to the desire to run free. Unlike the last time she'd tried to shift where it had been slow and painful, this change came fast. 

Her view changed and suddenly she was much lower to the ground and her senses were soaring. 

-Hello human.-

-Hello wolf.-

There was a moment of silence, almost like her inner wolf was confused at being allowed out when Lily had held her down with an iron grip since the last time she'd changed. -Let's explore together, shall we?-

-Why the sudden change of heart?- The wolf was curious. 

-I got some advice from Damien.- 

-Ahh, the male Alpha you wish to mate?-

-Yes.- Lily replied. 

-I shall see if he is worthy of us.- 

-He is worthy of us.-

-So you say. I have yet to judge.- The wolf sniffed haughtily. 

-Well then, let's learn to work together here, and then we can talk about Damien.-

-Fair enough. I warn you human, I will not give in easily.- The wolf growled. Lily grinned internally. 

-Bring it, neither will I. - They both laughed as the newest she-wolf in the pack took off through the forest, running at top speed and learning that there was joy in this kind of freedom.