Chapter 23: Soul

Before Hades could even ask her why she was here, a loud and blood curdling scream came from the balcony above. Katherine's room.

Hades didn't hesitate to jump up to the balcony, not bothering to look to see if Persephone was behind him. Peering through the curtains, he saw Katherine limb and unconscious in the arms of Apollo.

Apollo had that malicious and victorious gleam in his eyes as he held the unconscious girl close to him.

He knew what this girl was. The Oracle of Delphi told him about this mortal girl and what she could do if she ever found out who she truly was.

With the spell nearly completed, she would be his before morning.

"Apollo!"

Apollo looked to see the enraged god at the balcony. For a split moment, Apollo looked at Hades in fear, but it was gone in a flash before his attention turned back to Katherine.

"Let her go," Hades sneered. He felt close to the edge, an edge that could cause damage to the world above. The only thing he wanted was for Apollo to get his hands off the woman he loves.

Loves...

I love Katherine. I always have.

Not now, he bit at himself. That will have to wait.

Stepping further into the room, Hades could see that Katherine was close to falling off the edge. Though she was unconscious, her eyes were open, black and soulless, starring out into nothingness. Her skin was sickly pale and looked icy cold. The darkness inside her was starting to show up on her skin, faint black swirls on her body.

"I guess that bitch behind you told you everything?" Apollo sneered, his heart squeezing at the sight of his old love.

Persephone stepped from behind Hades, her eyes bright with anger. Despite her tiny size, Apollo knew she was one to not test. Even though she had no powers, she was still a goddess.

Apollo loved her.

She was his everything.

All those times when she came to earth and they met in the fields. Before that damned human took her from him.

He loved her.

But he couldn't have her. And if he couldn't have her, the next best thing was... Katherine.

"Let her go, Apollo," Persephone commanded. "You of all people know what that girl is capable of. All because of your Oracle."

Apollo laughed. "Of course I know. Why do you think I want her? She can be what helps me take over Mount Olympus. Zeus isn't fit to rule."

"And you are," Hades asked. "Everyone knows how corrupt you are! You are a power-hungry god who wants my brother's throne."

"I don't want the throne. Being the new Father of the Gods means having control over everything...even death itself."

Apollo looked at Persephone, and for once, he didn't bother hiding what he felt. "I loved you, Kore. You left me in both life and death."

"You never loved me. You were controlling and forced me to do things I never wanted. Adonis saved me that day in the field. I will love him more than I did with you. I was blind to see it."

Apoll shook his head. "It doesn't matter now. I have Katherine. She can easily replace you. Once she wakes up, she'll be mine. So if you want to say your goodbyes, dear uncle, say them now."

"You're. Not. Taking. Her."

The air in the room shifted. Everything seemed darker, unstable. Like the ground after an earthquake. Persephone stepped back from the angry god, knowing what he was going to do.