Chapter 5: Reunion

In an instant, Katherine jumped off the bed and ran to her sister, unshed tears blinding her. She crashed into Namie and they both fell to the floor, grunts turning into laughter.

Five years. Five long years since they've seen each other; one being a soul in Elysium, the other having to face her own hell back home.

"I can't believe you're here," Katherine cried. "Am I dreaming? Is this another cruel nightmare?"

"Not this time Kat," Namie cooed. A wave of fresh tears overcame Katherine at the sound of her nickname. Only Namie called her Kat.

Getting up off the floor, the younger sister continued to stare at the soul of her sister. She looked exactly the same; choppy black hair and olive skin. But she wore the same type of toga Katherine had, and her body would shimmer in transparency. She did not float like the stereotypical ghosts; she looked human.

Namie too stared at her sister. She noticed that Katherine dud not change much since she was fourteen, aside from her long hair. Her frame was small and petite like a child's and Namie could've sworn she looked thinner the longer she looked.

"God, I've missed you so much, Namie. How are you here? Aren't you suppose to be in Elysium?"

Namie chuckled. "I was for a while as I couldn't remember much about my life when I was alive. I didn't remember you, mom and dad, my death, anything. Hades had placed me in Elysium hoping I would regain my memory.

"My memories came back in fragments. I would see something that reminded me of when I was alive and try to piece the puzzle. Luckily, my memory came back soon after, and since then I have been worried sick about you."

"I did hear some of your rambling when you would visit my grave."

Katherine blushed in embarrassment. Most of the time, she pretended that Namie was standing in front of her, not dead, and have a quiet conversation, ranging from life back home to nostalgic memories.

She didn't think Namie heard everything.

"So, why aren't you in your afterlife?"

"Lord Hades came and visited me and told me that you were in the Underworld. Immediately I thought you were dead, but he assured me that you were very much alive. He knew that we were close and asked me to be your 'personal escort' while you're here. He never told me why you were here in the first place; just that you were in trouble and brought you here to keep you safe."

Katherine nodded. She told Namie about almost bring attacked at the park by her murderer. She was surprised that he didn't kill her, but instead knocked her out. After that, she couldn't remember, and she awoke in Hades chambers.

"And so here I am. I'm not going to lie that Hades scares me; he terrifies me. I'm afraid that if I say something wrong, he'll do something."

Namie too worried about this. Like her sister, she knew little about the myths surrounding the god. The few that were documented described Hades as a ruthless god who ruled with an iron fist and cruel punishments. The famous myth being about Persephone.

Persephone was the Goddess of spring, and was the daughter to Demeter and Zeus. One day, while in a field, the earth opened up and came Hades in his dark chariot. He grabbed the girl and took her to the Underworld to be his wife. Demeter was so furious, she put the earth under a harsh winter, killing the harvest and even humans.

Zeus told Hades to return Persephone, but by then, she had eaten the seeds of a pomegranate and could not leave as eating from the land of the dead trapped a person. Zeus bargained with Hades to allow Persephone to spend half the year with her mother and the other half with him.

Each version of the tale is different. One saying Hades kidnapped her; another saying it was an arranged marriage. One said she was forced to eat the seeds; another said she willingly ate them so she could be with Hades.

Whatever might be the true myth, it was the same.

Was Hades planning to make Katherine his queen? To be Persephone's replacement?

Namie chose to not to speak her thoughts aloud. It would only add to the fear Katherine still held for the god.

Katherine noticed her sister's change in mood, but decided to not ask her. She was still floating in the clouds after seeing her sister. No words of gratitude were enough at Hades effort to make Katherine enjoy her stay.

The two sisters laughed and talked for what seemed like hours. As Namie was her 'personal escort,' she would attend all of her sister's needs from clothes to hygienics.

It still felt weird to see Namie as an escort. She was still seeing her as her sister, her best friend. It would be weird at first, but Katherine would get use to it.

It was late that night that Namie had to go. Katherine was reluctant to say goodbye to her sister. She was afraid that this was all a dream, and she would wake back up in her own room.

Namie noticed this, and reassured her that she would be back in the morning.

Katherine reluctantly said goodnight to Namie, and with a brief hug, Namie exited her room.

Namie sighed as she closed the massive wooden doors, the dark cravings rough under her skin. The cravings showed a picture of the earth with lushous green meadows and flowers, while below was a deep cavern, the edges sharp and jagged.

"What do you plan to do with my sister," the girl asked the god behind her.

Hades chuckled, surprised that she sensed him behind her. "Why do you want to know?"

"Because I don't want her to be forced into marriage with you like Perseph–"

Before she could finish, strong hands wrapped around her throat, squeezing.

The god's eyes were bright with anger. "I will not tolerate this in my own home. Katherine will have a choice if the time comes. She is interest for me. You mortals think that I am a monster, capable of kidnapping and forcing myself on the weak. Speak one word to Katherine, and I will throw you into Tartarus so fast it'll make your head spin. Do not test me, spirit."

The god let go of the girl, and she fell to the floor, gasping.

"I'm only looking our of my sister. She is the only family I have here. Take me away, and she will hate and despise you."

"That is why you will keep quiet. She has simply caught my interest and curiousity, nothing more. So far." He whispered the last part to himself.

He turned and walked away from the girl, feeling the icy glare she threw at him.