Chapter 18: The Truth

(A/N: Picture of Hecate <3)

Katherine didn't sleep. The voices in her head wouldn't let her. Every time she closed her eyes, they screamed and shouted at her to wake up. She tossed and turned all night, trying not to wake Hades who ended up sleeping with her.

Before the sun came out, Katherine slipped out of bed and went out the balconey that was outside her room. The cavern was still dark and chilly. The flowers down at the garden below glistened in the dim lights coming from the windows.

Katherine sat down at the edge, her legs dangling over the edge, her dress flowing as she kicked her legs.

Her mind felt so chaotic right now; her thoughts and emotions jumbled up, voices of her loved ones constantly yelling at her. Hades voice was what tore her open the most. Her feelings for him have grown since the Hallows Eve Ball. That night was only a week ago, though it felt like an eternality ago.

It was funny how much she came to care for the immortal. She knew that at first, Hades was intimidating, as that was his front for everyone. But over the weeks, she saw through the facade and noticed that he was a caring person who had his heart crushed by his wife.

Katherine wanted to know how Persephone died. She knew that Hades had something to do with it, but that was something only Hades can share with her; if he decided to share his story.

She couldn't help but sigh.

She wondered how her parents were. Not only did they lose a daughter to an unknown murderer, but now she was missing too. Katherine doubted that her parents really cared. She was nineteen years old, she was an adult and could do whatever she wanted.

If that was the case, Katherine knew that they didn't bother with missing poster signs.

"Care if I join you?"

Katherine looked up to see a shirtless hades towering over her, his black hair ruffled from whatever sleep he had. Katherine nodded before looking away, not trusting her voice.

Should she mention the fact that he called her Persephone? Thinking back to that moment caused her heart string to contrast painfully in her chest.

Hades grunted as he sat next to her, swinging his legs over.

They sat in a tense silence, too obsorbed in their thoughts. Katherine wondered what was going through his mind. She wondered if Hades knew that, consciously or not, he called her his dead wife's name.

Hades cleared his throat. "So... How are you feeling?" Katherine shrugged. Hades could already tell by the circles under her eyes that the spell was already taking a huge toll her, and hasn't been a day yet.

Hades knew that she was restless. He felt her toss and turn in the covers, completely restless. Every time she would finally get comfortable, she would suddenly jolt like someone poured cold water on her. He knew that the voices in her head were the cause of it.

What he wouldn't give to take all her pain away.

He will kill whoever casted that spell onto her.

The sudden urge to touch her and comfort her was strong, too strong. All Hades wanted to do was to wrap her up in his arms and take away all the voices. He wanted to protect her from all the darkness. But it was hard to do so when it was inside.

He didn't even notice that his hand held her hand in his, the coolness of her skin against his. Katherine's breath hitched in her throat as Hades intertwined their fingers, holding onto her hand as if he was afraid of losing her.

When she tried to pull her hand back, thinking that Hades was doing it out of pity or mistook her as Persephone again, Hades didn't let go. In fact, he held her hand tighter.