Chapter 21: Persephone

Hecate came to the small cottage at the end of the forest. The sun was bright in the sky, the illusion almost fooling Hecate. It was her idea to give each afterlife a realistic look.

The air was thick with the smell of flowers and pollen. There was a faint sound of chirping of birds, the sounds of insects singing their songs. The grass was a bright green under the sun.

The cottage was big enough for just two, nothing more. The roof and walls were covered in green vines, tiny flowers blossoming in different colors.

Shifting to her physical form, Hecate walked up the cobblestone path to the cottage of the former Queen of the Underworld.

It had been years since Heacte saw the naive goddess. She never really liked the queen, just because she felt that Persephone was too young and immature to rule over millions of souls. But Hades was happy to have someone, so it wasn't in Hecate's place to complain.

Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the old wooden door, praying that Persephone could help. This seemed like a good idea considering--

The door opened a girl stepped out. Her long dark hair was in a high ponytail, a bandana tied around her head. Her long pink dress was littered with dirt as if she just got done planting a garden.

She looked the exact same as the day she died. No wonder others from the castle said Katherine looked like the late goddess.

"Hecate?" Persephone asked, her brows furrowed in confusion as to why a goddess of witchcraft was at her cottage. "What are you doing here?"

"I need your help. Something bad is happening, and I think you are the only one who might be able to do something."

"If you're asking power wise, they disappeared once I died. I'm useless."

Hecate shook her head. "No, you're not. I think you really can help. Just at least hear me out; if you can't help, then you might know someone who can."

"Alright, come on in. Adonis won't be back until nightfall."

Persephone stepped aside and opened the door wider. Hecate walked in as Persephone closed the door. The ceiling and banisters were wrapped in vines: leaves, flowers, and fruits hanging off. It was stuffy with all the smells from the flowers; it made Hecate light-headed.

The goddesses took a seat in a few worn chairs near the fireplace. It was always warm, there was no need for a fire.

"So, why are you here? Does it involve Hades?"

"No, it's a human."

"A mortal? In the Underworld?"

"Yes. Her name is Katherine Bakers. Hades brought her here a little over a month ago, before Hallows Eve. She has a sister here who was killed when she was fourteen."

Persephone tsked. "Poor girl."

Hecate nodded. "Something happened after the Hallows Eve Ball... Apollo has been obsessed with her since. He came to me and made me cast a spell on her to make her fall for him instead of Hades. He threatened my family; my husband and children. Afterwards, I ran. And now I'm here."

Persephone pursed her lips, her burrows furrowed in thought. "How does the spell work?"

"The spell is more of a physical form. It first starts as voices to break down that individual. Then it spell will start expanding to the body; and finally, the voices start to convince that person of whatever the caster wants them to believe... In this case, Apollo wants Katherine to love him instead of Hades. The voices will try to convince her weaken soul to give in."

"How long will the spell last?"

"I had it take place in a month. Right now, it would be in the final stage; convincing her."

They were silent for a moment. Besides Apollo, no one knew about the terrible thing Hecate did to Katherine. Now a former goddess knows.

"What does this girl mean to Hades?"

"Why do you ask?"

Persephone shrugged. "I was wondering if he ever found someone after what happened. After what I did, he needs someone to help with the Underworld and to mend the damages I caused."

Hecate nodded. "He cares for her, deeply. Everyone can see it. He even kissed her. I suspect it could've been more if it wasn't for the spell. The spell causes physical pain to the person if the object of the rejection is near. So when Hades touches her or is near her, she experiences pain.

"I have no ill-will to the girl. She clearly does make Lord Hades happy... But my family..."

Persephone nodded, her face blank, not showing the range of emotions raging inside her mind. Everything from content to firey rage boiling her blood.

She knew very well how Apollo was; he was a sadistic monster.

During her time in the mortal world, she and Apollo spent a lot of time together. She had freedom there I the world above, so why not see where they went.

He was nice at first. They would talk all through the night about anything that was on their mind. He was so charming, caring, and sweet. He taught her archery and the ways of poetry. He was perfect.

When they both admitted their growing feelings a few summers after, Persephone thought it would all be perfect.

But it wasn't...

She saw a side of Apollo that she never saw. It was like a 360. He went from sweet and caring to dark and controlling. When she would go back to the Underworld, Apollo would sneak into her chamber and do god awful things to her. It was easy to hide the bites and bruises, but it took a toll.

The only reason why Apollo stopped was because of Adonis was in that field. If it wasn't for him, Persephone would've had the same or worse fate as Katherine Bakers.

"How can I help the girl? I have no powers anymore."

"I have a theory..."

~~~

Adonis came home long after Hecate left. He stepped through the door to see his beloved pacing the floor, her hair a mess from the numerous times she ran her hand through it. The look of stress was evident on her face.

"Kore?"

"Adonis. Something bad has happened. Something really bad."

Adonis rushed to his beloved, his mind racing with anything that could go wrong. "What is it?"

"Remember when I told you back when, that I was constantly sick and feeling pain in my abdominal?"

Adonis looked at the former goddess in fear and confusion. "You don't mean..."

Persephone nodded. "And because of it, I just put a mortal's life in danger."