HalloVeen

Halloween. Jake's favourite time of year. I joined the 99 two years ago and got to learn about how intensely everyone handles the 'Halloween Heists'. I didn't often take part because I thought they were ridiculous; I decided to stick with my theme and not take part. They were fighting for the role of 'amazing human/genius'. Jake, my boyfriend, won the first year, Captain Holt won the second year; Amy, my colleague, won the third year and Gina Linetti, the civilian admin, won last year.

Jake and I had been dating for a total of three weeks when the heists were first introduced to me, we have now been happily together for 2 years and I didn't realise at the time but I was about to become even happier.

***

A cummerbund, as Captain Holt liked to call it, was the object that the precinct were fighting for this year; the minute it was placed onto a hook attached to the ceiling the lights went out and the belt, as Jake liked to call it, was taken. Because I'm a great detective, I deduced that Bill - Detective Boyle's lookalike - had crawled through the vents and taken the belt, Boyle was the one that cut the power and Jake was going to retrieve the belt from Bill after everyone freaked out. So, I sat from my desk and watched him sneak his way to a storage room and when no suspicion was detected - I followed him.

I walked into the storage room to see Bill, Boyle and...Terry?!

"Terry?" I was surprised to see Sgt. Jeffords stood before me instead of my boyfriend.

"Y/n, I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you - don't tell anyone I have the belt. Please!" He looked at me with meaningful eyes.

"I'm not gonna tell anyone - I don't care who wins," Before he could speak I cut him off.

"Where did Jake go? I saw him come this way," Bill, Boyle and Terry shrugged their shoulders at me and I left the room with confusion painted across my face.

It crossed my mind how odd it was for Boyle to be helping Sgt. Jeffords instead of Jake but the heist often to lead to a chain of betrayal so I couldn't be that surprised.

***

Some time had passed and I still hadn't seen Jake around anywhere; I began to become worried that someone trapped him somewhere. Instead of doing paperwork, I went on a hunt for Jake. I had checked most of the rooms and he wasn't there, then I walked into the evidence lock-up to see Jake handcuffed to a pole. Disappointment lied on his face, his wrist was red where the handcuff rubbed against him and his eyes looked red too...like he had been crying.

"Jake, oh my goodness are you alright?" He weakly smiled at me as I removed his cuffs.

I leaned in and pressed my lips against his. Softly, he leaned back and his arms wrapped around my waist as he hugged me tight and pulled me close to his body.

"Y/n, everything has gone wrong; Boyle was supposed to be on my side and I was supposed to win tonight but it's too late,"

"What's so wrong about losing? I'll take us home and we can watch Die-Hard in bed - I'd count that as a win," I rubbed my thumb where tears once stained his cheeks.

"You're too sweet. It was important that I won tonight - I haven't won in years and I need to win to prove that I'm a good detective," It broke my heart to think of him upset like this.

I got up and headed for the door. Determination took over my body.

"Babe, get up - let's get that belt and kick some ass," Jake filled with so much hope in that moment that I swear his eyes sparkled.

***

Jake and I planned what to do and it executed perfectly. He told me that once I had gotten the belt I should bring it to the roof and meet him there. We had 12 minutes left until midnight and no-one knew a single thing about our plan. Jake would be so happy.

I walked onto the roof into the pitch black darkness.

"Jake? I've got it babe, you won!" I looked around and couldn't see Jake at all.

I looked at the floor and saw rose petals and a note:

'Meet me back in the evidence lock-up - Jake'

Did the little shit make me walk to the roof just to be dramatic? God, I love him.

I walked in to see Jake stood with the sweetest smile on his face and a small tear in his eye.

"Did you make me walk to the roof and back to be dramatic? 'Cause I swear-" He cut me off.

"Calm down, I did it for a reason," He reached his hand into his pocket and pulled out a velvet box.

"y/n, you're the kindest, sweetest, funniest and smartest person I've ever met and I can't believe we've spent two years together," He continued.

"I knew on April 28th that you were the one I want to watch Die-Hard with for the rest of my life. So, I tricked Boyle into going against me and handcuffing me to a pole - I knew you would worry and come and find me because you're so sweet, I told you my deepest feelings and you became the bad-ass I always knew you were and you stole that belt from Terry," Tears filled my eyes.

"I also knew I would cry if I asked you the words you're expecting so I had it engraved into the belt - could you read it please?" His head nudged towards the belt in my hands.

"y/n y/l/n, will you marry me?" I said quietly through my tears.

"...will you?" Seeing me cry made him cry.

"Yes, Jake Peralta I will marry you,"