On Your Back

Toffee reached the camp when the sun was just peaking over the trees. Everyone was just waking up and leaving their tents when he arrived. They stopped in their tracks at the sight of a bloodied Toffee.

He doesn't say anything as he reaches his tent. Honestly, he was tired and needed a bath. If he doesn't clean the blood off of him soon, he's gonna go crazy.

"Boss?" spoke up Rasticore. The caped Septarian was alert at the sight of his leader.

"Morning, Rasticore." Toffee said, walking passed his second in command.

Reaching his tent, Toffee turns to face the crowd of monsters. Confusion and concern was on all of their faces. Obviously, the sight of him all bloody made them nervous.

"As you all know, I was planning the assassination of Queen Comet for awhile now," Toffee began, speaking loudly and clearly. "I have set it in motion. I have killed the queen!" he stated.

There was a stunned silence for a moment. Then it was interrupted by the cheers of his troops. Seeing the smiles on all of their faces made Toffee smile as well.

"Now that I have killed Queen Comet, there will be an attack. No doubt, the Magic High Commission will come for us. This is what we have been preparing for so long! War is upon us for our freedom!" Toffee shouted with his bloodied sickle to the sky. "Prepare for war!"

At that, every monster present let out a war cry, lifting their fists or weapons to the sky. Then they departed to prepare.

Toffee watched them go, feeling a sense of pride. When they were recruits in the beginning, none of them knew what it was like to be on a battlefield. He helped strengthen them into warriors. Sure, they were still afraid of magic. But Septarians, as most of the soldiers are, are immortal. They can handle any attack that can be thrown at them.

He started this many years ago. Now he's going to finish it.

"Toffee?" spoke up Rasticore again.

Hearing the other Septarian's voice made Toffee jump a little. He didn't notice that Rasticore was still there. Honestly, the brute can be quiet when he wants to be.

"Yes, Rasticore?" Toffee asked.

"You wouldn't happen to know where Cosmo is, would you? I haven't seen her all day and the kids have been asking. I had to entertain them and nearly lost a tail!" Rasticore said both amused and exasperated. The larger male showed a singed tail. "That Sandro boy is a handful. But I think he can help us with ammunition." Rasticore said.

Instead of responding, Toffee thought of Cosmo. He wondered about the woman. Did she really leave?

"I don't know where she is. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to take a bath and return to my hut." Toffee said curtly.

_______________________________

A sigh escaped Toffee's lips as he walks up to his hut. His left hand held the towel wrapped around his waist while the other held his bloodied clothes. Unlike before, he didn't have any shorts underneath because he was soaked to the bone in blood.

The bath was short yet peaceful. The queen's blood ran off his skin and soiled the clear blue water.

During his bath, he stared at his reflection in the water. He took another life as of last night. While he took pride in killing, having himself covered in blood was another thing. Having the blood of Mewmans on his body sickened him.

Toffee scrubbed blood and scales off of his body with his claws. It hurt but his regenerative abilities came in handy.

After his bath, Toffee returned to his hut and was planning to sleep for the rest of the day. He should have enough time before the upcoming battle. Fighting without a good day's rest is never good.