Feelings

To say that waking up with a child tucked between her arms would be confusing is not the case for Cosmo. For the past month, Stella has been crawling into Cosmo's bed whenever she had a nightmare. Sadly, it had been every night.

After moving to the monster village that Toffee protected, those nightmares seemed to vanish. Stella felt at true ease with her own kind. She was so happy here.

So finding Stella in her bed surprised Cosmo. Either she had another nightmare or didn't want to sleep alone.

Cosmo has been living in the village for about two weeks now. The villagers were still anxious about Cosmo. Wherever she went, she noticed being looked at. They treated her kindly but at the same time kept her at a distance.

With a tired sigh, Cosmo untangles herself from the child and slides out of the bed. 'Stella has the death grip that Star has when she sleeps.' Cosmo thought as she slips on a robe before leaving the bedroom.

There were only two bedrooms in the house that Cosmo was in. Stella stayed in the other bedroom while Timmy, Marla, Abe, and Sandro were with other monsters. Watching the families welcome the kids with open arms brought a smile to Cosmo's face. Timmy and Abe were taken in by a couple that had lost their children. Finally, everyone had a second chance of having a family.

Cosmo steps outside of the house and into the sunlight. The house rested on the edge of the village, giving her a beautiful view of the forest. She could see the towers of Butterfly Castle above the treetops. So close yet so far.

She leans her head back and basks in the sun. 'So peaceful.' Cosmo thought with a sigh.

"Good morning, Cosmo."

The fluttering in her stomach in response to hearing that voice made her breathe shakily. Her chest tightened as she turns her head to be greeted by the sight of Toffee walking toward her. Instead of wearing a suit or his armor, he was dressed in a white tunic with a brown belt and brown pants. His hair was tied in a low-hanging ponytail to keep it out of his eyes.

'I should've put on some pants.' Cosmo thought as she pressed her legs together. 'Thank god for the robe.' she thought, making sure the robe was tied.

"Morning, Toffee." she greeted with a wave.

"What are you doing up so early?" Toffee asked. "Not even the other families have woken up yet." he said.

"You know that I'm trained in combat. I am used to waking up early so that I can exercise." Cosmo explained. She tried not to notice how close Toffee was. With her nose, she could smell him from three feet away. Toffee had a spicy scent of musk that was driving her senses wild.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" Toffee asked. "Training on an empty stomach is never good." he pointed out. He holds up something that he was holding, revealing that it was a pink apple. "I was planning to eat this but you can have it." Toffee offered. "No, it's okay. I'll make my own." Cosmo said.

"Nonsense. I still have some breakfast leftover. I can make more." Toffee said.

"If it doesn't bother you." Cosmo said. 'And you don't poison my food.' she thought.

Despite acting civil towards one another, there was tension between the two. Toffee would keep asking about Cosmo's past while Cosmo asked him about his plans. They treated each other kindly but would think different about the other.

"I insist." Toffee said with a big smile.

"Alright. Let me get changed first." Cosmo said. "I'll be quick." she promised.