'Lloyd, are you all right?'

'Where have you been?'

'We've been worried for you!'

The friends spoke in unison and Lloyd looked between their relieved faces but found he was drawn to the mysterious crowd of shadows that hovered behind; a wall of wide eyes stared back, viewing the friend's re-union and looking confused by the open show of emotion that was alien to them. Lloyd was taken aback as he caught their gaze 'uh... I, I'm fine. I'm ok.' He assured his team 'I've laid my ghosts to rest and I'm here for you' He looked towards Nya, her history with The Quiet One had caused her pain and this new twist of events could not have been easy for her and asked simply 'Nya. Are you OK?'

'Yes' she replied 'that bitch should never have escaped. Her life will not be worth living when I catch up with her... but I have to try and keep perspective. Before she appeared, Kai was gone and my past with her became insignificant'

'Kai!' Lloyd exclaimed, agitated.

'We found him and he's ok, but if I lost him I would die and The Quiet One cannot compete with that fear'

Lloyd nodded in understanding 'she's not worth it Nya, whatever happens, put all that behind you. But where's Kai now and what the hell happened, back there, in the square?'

Jay raised a quietening hand to Lloyd and slurred out a reply 'Ish fine, hesh fine, hesh wifanuv... uh... oww!' he said wincing at his broken jaw. Nya took over.

'The fire in the square was... well, he had a...' she searched for the right word '...shock!'

'That must have been some shock' Lloyd replied, still confused.

Cole came forward 'Lloyd, much has happened and there's no time to debrief' He began to move out and Jay and Nya followed 'we're right in the middle of it. The Quiet One and Hutchins are on the move and they mustn't escape'

Lloyd snapped his head around 'WHAT? Hutchins? But, he's dead and again... WHAT?'

The shadows were steadily moving through them to continue the chase, but Lloyd just stood still in confused silence. Nya turned back to him and shook her head 'No. He groomed her, handled her. He was; is her Master. He masterminded The Downfall, the resurrection, everything... through her'

Lloyd pushed forward with the bustling shadows to reach Nya '...and this place?'

'His 'House''

'Shit!' Lloyd grabbed Nya's arm as she was turning to leave 'Where's Zane?'

She looked slightly confused at his question and replied 'well... with Kai of course'

'No, no he's not. He sent me a drone and then went silent. I saw his dragon form on the horizon. Something must be wrong'

Nya was stern 'He would have left the mission only for the most extreme of reasons and if it was anything we could help with, he would have said. I'm sorry Lloyd but this is our mission. I mean to get the Quiet One and if I'm given the chance I will kill her. So you better come with me to make sure I don't' She turned and the shadows swept her away.

Zane's dragon flew within the cloud layer and he let it find its way on instinct. The white out focussed his thoughts and he sat quietly in a meditative state. How close they were to the Temple he could not be sure, all unnecessary sensors were purposefully off. Monitoring his link with Pixal took all his concentration and he was feeling more drained now. Even the dragon felt heavy under him; the threads that held them together had become fragile and feeling the shift in his dragons' flight he slowly opened his eyes. It ascended above the clouds, the Island appearing silhouetted against the morning sun.

The Temple came up fast. He began to function, reactivating one sensor at a time to scan the Temple and grounds; but in his haste to ascertain the situation, the imbalance in his power ruptured. The threads that held him with his otherworldly creature snapped, causing it to turn and spin in confusion as it flew between worlds. In its last moments of tangibility it bucked Zane from his neck to propel him the last yards to the Islands rim before its icy crystals disintegrated and it left this world.

Zane held himself still, a surge of power returned to him now the Dragon had released and he let it flood out to Pixal. Dust settled around him and he zoned back in to find her link. She was stronger, the power surge sustaining her. Staggering to his feet, he felt weaker still. In those impulsive seconds when he had activated his sensors, it had been enough to take his dragon down, but the release of his dragon had transferred enough power back to Pixal and enabled him to gain information. The sensors had placed Pixal in her lab, but there was nothing else. There were no life readings, which meant no Misako.

He moved to one knee and readied himself for what he might find. He walked to the temple and in through the doors, dizziness rushing his head as he climbed the few stairs. The entrance hall felt suddenly out of proportion, as if it were an excessive void he might get lost in and he moved forward straight through to the corridor and past the kitchen. The space was quiet and he felt the ghosts of happy times in his favourite room. His connection with Pixal drew him forward as if he were magnetised to her and he descended into the sub floors deep in the rock of the island. The unnatural light of the tunnels was bright, blinding to his eyes that dimmed and closed as he walked. 'What is happening?' he asked and staggered, falling against the wall to drag himself forward 'Pixal?' He touched the pad to enter the lab and saw his love on the cold floor, a crumpled heap having dropped where she stood.

Falling towards her, he placed his hand behind her neck and raised her head gently. His forefinger conected with the nape of her neck and a spark of life flickered through her skin, the violet circuits on her body glowed subtly and she opened her eyes 'Zane' she whispered 'its not enough' and Zane felt his power leach from him even more 'You can't... sustain us... both'

'I can, I must'

'You can't... and you won't' Pixal replied 'you came... I pulled you here... to say goodbye'

Zane grappled her too him. She was a part of him, he could not loose her, could not live without her. She made him human and he loved her. What would he be without her but a single entity, alone in a world of others? There would never be another, could never be another 'No...' he moaned 'it won't be this way, I refuse to allow it' Pixal smiled at him, a soft broken smile and closed her eyes. The violet lights on her skin flickered and dimmed as she drifted away 'NO!" Zane shouted, power returning to him, he forced it back and held her tight. Ice exploded from his hands 'There will be a way' he said as he let the ice envelop them. As he closed his eyes to sleep he released a final gasp as he saw on a monitor the still body of Misako on the infirmary room floor.