She also began to wish he spoke first.

To her sudden surprise, he did speak first, and in a cold voice, he said, "So it seems you work for the Underground now... It wasn't that way before, at the theater."

Words suddenly flowed into Frisk's mind and out her mouth like perfectly written piano music, and she replied gracefully and confidently, "A lot can change in a week, I'm sure you know this from experience."

"And what experience would you be referring to?" Johnathan asked, seeming too calm for Frisk's comfort.

No, Sans said there was something underneath. 

There must be a storm brewing.

Was Sans lying?

"The fact you studied planned, and proceeded a kidnapping, and failed. All in the spam of... five days?" 

"Six."

"Of course..." 

Frisk realized how smoothly she was speaking, and felt a glint of pride in her heart, keeping her stance strong. What would her brain come up with next?

Johnathan started again, as if he could sense her inner struggle. "It simply took me by surprise, that you would rather work here than at Cortex."

"You give me the same surprise," Frisk replied, starting to cast the bait into the water, her line steady, "They treat me well here. I'm surprised you would work for Cortex at all."

"I never said they treated me badly," Johnathan said, his voice collected as he laid back in the chair, still watching Frisk, "For all you know, they treat me well."

"Clearly not well enough," Frisk frowned, raising an eyebrow and hiding her pleased insides. The fish was getting closer to her hook. "Because if I remember correctly... You left, eight years ago. Did you not?"

Johnathan hesitated, his brain ticking.

"I did."

"Then my case is sound."

"Except, it's not," Johnathan corrected, taking in a slow breath of air.

The fish was inspecting the bait, pushing himself to take a bite.

"Oh? How so?"

"I never said I left Cortex because of how they treated me, unlike you."

This is it Frisk, reel him in.

"Then why did you leave Cortex...?" Frisk folded her arms and shifted her weight onto one leg, trying to seem careless as if sparking uninteresting conversation. But this is exactly what she needed.

However, Johnathan didn't answer, and he simply stared at her. Frisk could feel herself being read, and she felt anger boil in her stomach. Along with panic.

Too fast! Too fast! You pulled on the line too fast!!!

"I don't believe that is of importance at the moment..." Johnathan said, relaxing.

Dammit! Lost him!

Frisk sighed, realizing that tricks wouldn't work on Johnathan unless she was in there for hours. And not only was she willing to get out of there as soon as possible, she knew they didn't have a lot of time to get this done. 

Therefore, she cut through the act, and looked Johnathan in the eyes, saying, "Look, Johnathan. I know you have a child."

Panic immediately struck Johnathan, and Frisk suddenly knew what Sans had saw in the man's eyes. The poor man kept himself together, but Frisk could see the worry and pain strike his face hard as he clenched his jaw and held his eyes back from widening.