When it took her a beat too long to respond, he said it again in the same levelled tone. "Do you know your responsibilities as Queen, Princess Reverie of Analide?"

Yes. Power to the people. A changed Analide for everyone, for the poor and not just the rich. Stop the killings. Bring back justice. Lead with grace. Become a protector for the less fortunate.

"Yes," Revy said.

"Do you promise to fulfil your duties, pledged to the stars?"

Yes. I pledge on the stars that I will be the light of this world, ever more, ever shining, and forever strong. I promise to fulfil my duties, above all, to my people. I promise Analide. I promise the children and the women and the poor that I will not become like my father.

"Yes."

"Are you prepared for the weight of these responsibilities?"

Yes. I've known since day one. I've known since I was able to talk. But I am ready, I am passionate, and I will serve.

"Yes."

He chuckled softly, for whatever reason. "Then make your pledge."

Revy breathed in. Dear Night, she hated this fucking room. It was a room of torture and broken spirits. This was the room where he ruined her childhood to toughen her up, prepare for the day she would become Queen. Dizzying.

She swallowed, trying to recall the words they taught her, and not the words she wrote for herself in the dead of night. She struggled slightly to find the words her father wanted, and not the earnest words of the heart.

Father tapped his foot impatiently, and Reverie was brought back to that one time he made her clean his boots. She swallowed again, refusing to have her throat clog up, and looked away, focusing instead on the brown carpet. "Well?"

"I—" She cleared her throat. "I, Reverie of Analide, promise to uphold the duties and responsibilities of Queen." What's the next sentence? "I will be the stars' champion, evermore, until the day I die."

"Good," he muttered.

"I promise to uphold the ideals of Analide, for the throne—"

There was a sudden knock on the door. Overcome with relief, Revy let her shoulders slump, letting go a breath.

"Come in," Father said. She took this as cue to rise from her kneeling.

To both of their surprise, it was Micah there. No servant or guard coming to fetch them, but it was Micah with the wicked smile and his warmth filling the room. He inclined his head to father but his eyes are on Revy. Gleaming.

"It's time," he said.

~

The flurry of the ceremony was wonderful.

Revy mounted her horse, and then she and her entourage were off to ride out the castle gates, through the city streets, and to the ancient Courtyard of ceremonies. It sat on the space between two mountains, a solemn space of coronations and peace treaties.

The view was magnificent. Immediately as they rode down the hill of the castle and to greet the people, Revy held her head higher and smiled. It was a sea of orange and gold, smiling faces and waving arms. They held silk banners and flaglets, crying out her name in joy. The flurry and constant movement made her flush with pride.

"Reverie! Reverie! Queen Reverie!"

As they paraded through the city, people parted to let them pass. It wasn't an easy task, because the capital city was packed with people today. Citizens from all across the archipelago have come to see her, some still in their riding leathers and semi-sleepwear. So Revy wanted them to see how grateful she was. She waved in that elegant way, delicate hand but strong posture and hard eyes, the years of court and etiquette training pay off. The people cried out louder, frantic, trying to touch her cape. Trying to touch her horse. Trying to get a better glimpse of her.