Chapter 3

"Ahhh..." I felt my head was going to explode as I began to gain consciousness.
My body ached all over and my chest was bruised and tight.
I could feel the light shining down on me through my eyelids and tried opening them.
It was unfortunate I couldn't see where I was, but judging by the table I was on and feeling around with my hands, I guessed I was in the nurses office.
I tried sitting up and groaned out in pain.
"Thank goodness you're awake." The nurse rushed over to me and gently laid me back down on the table.
"You shouldn't get up for a while, that was a pretty big beating you got dear. You could have died."

"How did I get here? Who brought me?" I quickly asked.
"You don't remember deary?" She asked me as she replaced my bandages where the skin had torn open and was bleeding still.
"No." The last thing I could remember was waiting to die on the pavement.

"A young gentleman brought you in, worried the daylights out of me you can imagine. He looked very concerned, but ended up rushing out of here real quick."
I wonder who had ended up carrying me in here. Was it the person that had called off the beating? I don't know anyone who cared an ounce about me. Who would be willing to help me??

"Now dear, I want you to rest up now. Some of your wounds are pretty nasty and will take some time to heal. I expect some scars no doubt to mar that pretty skin of yours."
"Ok."

I heard the door shut behind her as she left. Quiet. She had been so kind helping me with my injuries, it was nice, for once someone giving a damn about me.
I feel bad. I should have asked her her name and said thank you or something.
I decided to follow her advice and made myself as comfortable as I could.
I was fast asleep before I knew it.
*****
I heard the the sound of shuffling feet outside the door and felt my ears perk up.
As I listened closer I could hear the sounds of shutting lockers and squeaking shoes.
It must be the end of the day already.
I tried rolling over on my side and gasped out in pain as I felt my ribs jostled. My body would be in pain for a long while.

I gradually got up and slid off the table. My feet hit the tiled floor and I reached out, searching for my stick.
I felt air and metal until I felt the familiar smooth handle of my cane.
I gently touched my body with my other hand, assessing the damage, and checked to make sure that none of my wounds had opened back up.

Everything seemed patched up okay and the one long cut along my side was stitched up nicely.
I made my way out of the nurse's office and traveled down the hallway, out of school.
It really sucked I would have to walk home while I was in so much pain. I wish I was like the other kids at school with my own car.
Too bad I couldn't afford it.
Speaking of money.. I totally spaced out and forgot about work!!
What am I going to do?!?! How am I going to get there on time when I can barley walk home as it is!

BEEP BEEP!

The sound of a car horn reached my ears as a car's tires screeched down the road and drove up towards me.
I heard the car come to a stop next to where I was and heard the slam of a car door shut.
I hesitantly waited to see who had pulled over next to me.
"Ugh huh," a deep masculine voice cleared their throat. I jumped a little, not realizing how close they were to me.
"You need a ride?"
Oh my god! It's Jake! The person asking to help me is Jake.
"What? Are you talking to me?"
"I think so, no one else is around." He chuckled under his breath and I could sense he was probably smirking at me.
"Why would you want to help me?" I asked, huffing out a breath as my body went rigid.
"Because I feel like it."
"That's not an answer!" I retorted.
"Well you'll just have to deal with it!" Jake was getting steamed and I could tell I was testing his patience.
I thought about the long walk to work and how much I needed the money. Geez, I wish there was another way.
"Fine."

I heard Jake step over to the passenger side of the car and open the door.
"Get in princess."
"Don't call me that!" I yelled out, my face scrunching up in distaste.
I hurried over and slid into the seat, placing my stick inside and next to the door.
Jake shut the door once I was fully in and went around to the other side. I buckled myself in and waited as Jake also got situated and started up the car.
I could feel the engine hum under my finger tips as he revved up the car and placed it into drive.
The windows were down and I could feel the rushing wind blow at my hair and cool my face.
"Can you drop me off at my work?" I found myself cautiously asking.
I heard Jake fumbling around with something and then a grunt in reply.
"Yeah, that's fine princess."
"Must you call me that?"I asked agitated beyond belief.
"Yes."
"Fine." I huffed.
" I work at.."
"You don't need to tell me where you work, I already know."
"How do you know that? I haven't told anyone." I blurted out.
It was eerily quiet for several minutes before he replied, "I've seen you at work sometimes when I'm out grocery shopping. You're a good packer considering.."
He stopped abruptly as he was speaking and I heard him grind his teeth.
I didn't ask him what he was talking about, I already knew. Everybody knew about my "birth defect".
I tapped my fingers on my leg to keep myself busy and fill the void of silence in the car. As I was tapping I heard Jake shuffle around. The tension was so hard you could cut it with a knife.

Eminem came cranking out of his car speakers a minute later.
"Love the way you lie"
by- Eminem, featuring Rihanna
Just gonna stand there and watch me burn
Well that's alright because I like the way it hurts
Just gonna stand there and hear me cry
Well that's alright because I love the way you lie
I love the way you lie
I can't tell you what it really is, I can only tell you what it feels like
And right now there's a steel knife in my windpipe...
"You listen to Eminem?"
"Yeah.." He hesitantly replied, as if worried of what my response would be.
"I love him! I live and breathe his music!.. Rap is my passion and I love listening to Dr. Dre, Drake, Jay Z, Love Rance, and all the like." I blushed embarrassed with my over-talking.
"Really?" He asked very surprised, but it sounded like a good surprise. Maybe that was me overthinking things.
"Yup."
"For some reason I got it in my head you'd be one of those girls who likes country and ballet music, girly shit like that."
"Haha that is such a joke. I love rap and pop though I will occasionally listen to some ballads."
We stayed silent after that until I felt the car pull to a stop. The driver's side door opened and closed and I heard my door open as Jake helped me out.
This was so confusing. How could Jake, my enemy, actually have a nice side?
I grabbed my stick and grabbed onto Jake's arm as I made my way out of the car and onto the sidewalk.
"Thanks for the ride."
"Yeah. See you around." I heard Jake walk back to his car and get in. He speedily took off down the street as if in a whirlwind.

How confusing is Jake now?! He's her tormentor, yet he's actin all nice all of a sudden.
I wish he was sweet like this all the time.
I hope to update with more soon. Have to work on my senior project so it might be a bit. Thanks