Chapter 13

Mavis POV:

I can't stand being stuck in this bed, I can feel the Beta continually watching over me and it's starting to really annoy me. I need to head home before I get in even more trouble than I'm probably already in with my parents. Not showing up and keeping up with the usual routine, they'll have noticed by now that I'm missing and have either assumed I've ran away from home or that I'm dead. I don't know which one is better in my case.

The only good thing about being in the pack hospital right now is that I have the Beta's constant protection and I'm safe from my parents. I can rest at ease for the moment knowing they can't touch me. I still wonder over what happened earlier with Britney, Christopher and Casey when I was almost strangled to death.

I keep hoping they weren't serious in their threat to kill the ones I care about, but due to past experience dealing with their torture and tormenting, I know deep down they were serious as sin. Doctor Mark tells me that I'll only need to stay a few more days before I can leave the hospital. Nearly all the silver nitrate has left my system and I should be good as new in the coming weeks.

Layla (Her wolf) has been silent since I woke, however, the doctor tells me this is normal because she took on most of the pain and healing so I would recover sooner. She should slowly come back to me which I'm forever grateful for. I can't imagine living this life without her, she's my best friend.

I don't know how I will face Jake. I know eventually we'll have to have a conversation, but I'm still so angry and confused about him. He bit and marked me against my will, yet he saved my life and apart of me can't help but care about him.

I'm hoping I'll have more time before that confrontation happens, before I have to face my feelings for him if there are any, but until then I need to figure out how to deal with "The Five."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Jake POV:

I can't stop thinking about her. I haven't seen her since that day when she first woke in the hospital and shut me out. Beta Jeremiah has been keeping an eye on her for me so for the mean time that has to appease me. Alec has found little to no leads on the remaining traitors in the pack which frustrates me to no end.

I was hoping by now we'd have some kind of lead, but nothing has popped up. Either these traitors have already fled and wiped any kind of evidence or they're getting inside help.

This is completely unnerving. I need a nap before I can deal with anymore of this. For Mavis to come so close to danger, I fear for what could happen if I don't keep a closer eye on her this time around.

I wish she would let me see her, let me talk to her. My wolf just keeps whining and blaming me for the situation we're in. He's right though.
I will make this right, so help me goddess. I just have to.