Chapter Eleven: The Truth Behind Those Eyes

Their connection has waned through the night, bodies close yet so distant as a Delilah huddle at his side with no arm around her waist or even the slightest attempt notice the petite being. The conversation has yet come to an end, still, she can feel herself being split into two by her own logic. She was his as he were hers, only the couple of days of their relationship has already defined their feelings, the amount of care and trust between the two strangers were enough to convince another that they knew each other for years.

Delilah should be happy of such proposal, to be away from the brothel and sudden family drama, to explore her own life and future in a home with so many options and freedom to do whatever without someone shooting down her opinions and dreams. No one to call her a whore and remind her that she can be nothing more than that. However, in reality she was going to be Wyatt's whore, he has paid her way out and no matter what he say or do; she still feels as if it is her duty to give him everything he desires- body and heart.

The night creeps away from the sunrise, the sky looked like flames layered with yellow, orange, and dark pink with a hint of blue. Unlike London after a snow storm, Italy opens up with a bright and sunny day, the air was still chilly, ground and rivers covered with ice and snow; yet, the people still roam the stone walkways as if it weren't Christmas morning. They busked themselves with work as their children played in the snow under the careful eye of their mother.

"Delilah, what are you doing up so early?" A groggy timid voice distracted the young woman from the morning show, right before the mother yelled at her two son's that were dangerously close to the edge. Although, Delilah did not know a lick of Italian or any other language other than English, she knew her yells were mostly out of motherly fear.

Alessandra held her own motherly fear, childless, she still could not help herself but worry and age from the thought of losing Wyatt to a tragic accident or even natural death- especially before he gains the chance to bury her.

Delilah released a light smile, her eyes were droopy with exhaustion, but her mind raced with thoughts that kept her up through the night. "I couldn't sleep. What of you?"

The older woman rubbed her eyes and stumbled into the room while adjusting the thick fluffy robe. "I must cook breakfast. Even with just Jonathan, I wake up early to give him a proper meal, lord knows those two barely eats during the day. Would you like coffee? Tea?"

"Tea, please, thank you."

"What is keeping you up?" Alessandra asked while walking towards the kitchen to fill the kettle with water and made her way back to set up over the fire. Flopping down into the leather arm chair made for a fat man, she sighed heavily and examined the young woman too distracted by what was going on outside to even fix the problem on the inside.

Delilah looked down at her hands and sighed heavily before looking up to capture the woman's eyes. "This is my first relationship."

"Oh, quite interesting. What is the true problem? You do not like the state it is in?"

"No, I do, there is family complications. My mother, she allowed me to come to Italy with Wyatt, yet she expects me not to go any further than where we are now. In the past couple of days, Wyatt and I have confined each other with peace and understanding, we distracted each other from the outside world. She wants me to be with her, helping the girls, but I do not want to do that."

"What do you want?"

Delilah looked away, the question placed another answer-less thought into her mind. "I love reading about history, our past shapes our future, I just want to go my own path. But..." she paused while wiping a stray tear away before Alessandra saw. "But, that is not how the world works for us, for a woman like me."