Chapter Six: Billie Holiday

The carriage ride back to the hotel room was silent, Delilah could of sworn she heard the Christmas carolers from a block away, along with the loud bell of Saint Paul's Cathedral church across the city- indicating it was past noon and another day of the world still surviving after the Great War ended completely.

Delilah stared through the crack in the thick purple curtains, the passing glimpse of stone and marble buildings not once touched by bombs settled peacefully under the winter sun, the sky clear, and air still chilly but the wind was nothing more but a soft breeze. "Does it get cold where you are from?"

Wyatt chuckled lightly from her curiosity, it seemed to her America was a recently discovered land hidden from others. "I was born and raise in a state called Maryland, in the capital of Annapolis. And yes, it can get very cold but not until January. I should give you a book of American history and its geography, you have so many questions."

"I have never met an American before. I've met a Frenchmen, Russian, Egyptian, a Nigerian, and even a man from Brazil; but never a man from United States."

"Mistress Avenue must be very popular."

"Very. Madam Charlotte makes sure her business are one of the best, there were a few times where she managed to run every known competition out of London. How she did it, I do not know, but it would take no more than a few days." Delilah's lips tugged into a proud smile. She looked up at Charlotte when it comes to a woman's needed strength, but never for love, such feeling was never shown behind those closed doors.

Wyatt took notice of her fidgeting fingers, he restrain from grabbing her hands to make her stop and give comfort. "What's wrong?" His tone was cold and harsh, he wanted to know what was bothering his company and wanted to eliminate it immediately.

Delilah looked up from her lap and shook her head while forming a light smile. "Nothing... well, I just do not want to go back tonight. But one must go home eventually, why not soon."

"Well, I have you until sunset, let's not make the best of it." His blue eyes flashed with sin, lips tugged into a wolffish smile, and a soft laugh formed in his throat as his body relaxed into the leather seats. The American no longer scorn over the fact he was stuck in London for a very long time, but only focused on the woman beside him. The need to have Delilah in his arms again was what drove his sense of relaxation, what caused his cheeks to turn red, eyes losing its natural icy glares, and laughter to pass his lips as if speaking to an old friend. 'Don't let your guard down so easily O'Connell.' He warned himself with a inner scrawl.

The carriage stopped outside the entrance of the Paddington, the carolers were still begging for donations through their singing voices and seemed they weren't going to leave any time soon now the weather was giving them mercy. A young baggage carrier opened the door on Delilah's side, his young juvenile eyes locked into her lovely face; cheeks turned red and mouth parted as if trying to find the words to say.

The young woman giggled while grabbing his offered hand. "Thank you." She squeaked, knocking the boy out of her trance.

Before the boy could register why his body has reacted in such an unprofessional way, Wyatt was already towering over him in intimidation- which was enough to send him running. "Donald." The American barker, easily grabbing the old man's attention through the sound of joyous holiday singing. "Please tell the kitchen to prepare Delilah and I lunch, preferably tomato soup with a side of sourdough bread, also bring up wine, cheese and grapes if they have it."

The old man nod while taking the order in. "I will bring the platter and wine up to the room in thirty minutes."

Wyatt gave a curt and accepting nod before looping his arm around Delilah's and leading the way to the door, not before stopping in front of the carolers and dropping five shillings into the red bucket- the gesture earned him many smiles, but the only one that mattered to him was the biggest of them all.