Chapter Thirty-Two: Next Chapter Starts with a Goodbye

Who am I?... Delilah stared at herself in the mirror, her hazel eyes held a caramel hue under the bright sunlight slipping through the thin curtains, her brown skin glowed with radiance, curly hair pinned into a neat bun, as her pink lips tugged into a tight smile- one that was practiced over and over again for the past four days. "Hello, my name is Delilah. Welcome to- No... No, too plain." Taking a deep breath she tried once more, this time with a larger smile. "Welcome! I am Del- No... Too chirpy."

The young woman urged, her smile fading by the second as she realized the amount of practice and bright smiles would not cover the fact she was nervous. It was only eight months ago when her dream of being a successful writer came true, by time she stepped foot into San Francisco her book was already on the shelves in the west coast- from the tippy top of Washington to the edge of Arizona. Of course, it took time and a lot of publicity for her book to be truly known amongst the large crowd of young and single women.

From then, Delilah held some form success, she went to venues for B-listing Hollywood stars, done a couple of book signings in Seattle and Los Angelas, and was even mentioned in a vogue catalog as the new young and independent woman of the month. In the first three months of living in San Francisco, she managed to sell over 250 copies; more than a first time author would sell in a year. The rest of the five months were a breeze, the books has spread to all across North America, a few book stores in United Kingdom were putting her books on display; but it's not quite popular over seas. Still, Delilah was quite satisfied with her sells, in fact she found it unbelievable.

Taking a deep breath, Delilah tried again, this time with a smile but also a confident steady tone. "Welcome, I am Delilah, author of Revolutionary Time and newcomer to the city of San Francisco. I must thank you all for joining here today to-"

"I believe Aunt Delilah is bonkers." A snarky teasing tone interrupted the smooth transition of confidence along with incoherent babbling from a drooling creature. Amelie stood in the door way, her face as beautiful as the first day she gained her permanent teeth, only this time her beauty wasn't the only eye catcher but also the 23 ounce being grabbing anything that hung in front of it's eyes. Rosemary Durand, a chubby eight month old cutie with short light brown hair that was nearly blonde under the sunlight, and her mother's emerald eyes. She was the exact replica of the woman who birthed her, the only difference is her olive Mediterranean skin both young woman could only assume Rosemary gained from her biological father.

"Do not listen to your mother, Rose, I am only practicing my speech."

"No, you should be relaxing, eat some breakfast... drink some tea."

"I'm afraid that'll mess with my tummy." Delilah groaned, her stomach could hardly hold down the bowl of fruit she shoved down her throat from earlier, yet along eat pancakes. Smoothing back nonexistent hanging strains of her back into the bun, Delilah took one last look in the mirror. "I must head off." Before the young woman could step out the room, her hands were filled with a semi-wrapped box no bigger than a her palm. "Amelie, I said no-"

Amelie rolled her eyes in frustration before grabbing her daughter's hand to deter another five minute wrestle of tug-a-hair. "No gifts, I know, but it was Rose idea. How could refuse her request? Besides, it's her first birthday celebration, we can't take that away from her."

Delilah could not deny such words nor Amelie's batting eyes. "Oh alright, only because it's Rosemary's first birthday experience." Carefully unwrapping the poorly covered box, her tense shoulders suddenly dropped into a relaxing stance and lips tugged into a sincere smile. A silver locket filled the empty space, the oval shaped piece holding an etched design that resembled Rose vines growing wildly amongst a surface, and when opening the locket Delilah released a sharp awe. A tiny picture of Rosemary settled in the left opening, the first picture ever taken of the little being four months ago. Without hesitation, Delilah placed the necklace around her neck and tucked it away under her blouse where it already felt natural and safe. "Thank you, it seems I needed it more than ever."