Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Stop!" I cry when grabbing her hands.

Hayden looks up at me in confusion. She suddenly pushes me away with tears running down her cheeks. I resist, staying perfectly still.

"Who are you!" She violently pushes me again with a greater force. "Don't touch me!"

"We need to ask you to wait outside" the doctor looks at me as many nurses enter the room.

I nod slowly before quickly leaving the room.

Who am I?

I begin breathing heavily, struggling to catch my breath.

***

I sit on the edge of a cliff, watching as the sun rises with a nearly empty bourbon bottle in my hand.

I've been here for around five hours now. Collecting my thoughts, ignoring my violently buzzing phone.

Summer break 2019 will always be remembered as when Hayden woke up, I think.

Suddenly my phone buzzed once again. I look down to find a wall of messages from too many people. The most recent texts are from Tyler.

She's awake

She's confused

We need you here

Where the hell are you?

I shake my head violently before pressing my phone down beside me.

I just want my best friend back. I didn't expect all these complications or memory issues. She was supposed to wake up and just be Hayden.

When I make it to the bottom of the bottle, I sigh before throwing it over the cliff.

Struggling to stand up, I stumble over my feet, falling face-first against the hard rock. I roll my hand in to a fist and slam it against the rock in frustration.

Summer break replays over and over in my head. I paid off Jimmy, I got to see Lara and her kid again and Hayden woke up.

A normal life was never installed for me, was it?

It's not fair. None of it. I sound like a whiny little bitch but that's what it is. Unfair. The world was designed for those who have won the genetic lottery and naturally excel at life without any challenges or interferences.

But what about the rest of us? What about people like me? People who grew up with no money, no support, and no parents? How do we do life?

Are we destined to fail like our parents? Whined up dead before twenty-five or in prison, like my mother and sisters? Or perhaps addicted to drugs and reliant on alcohol like my father?

How is any of it fair? How are some born into a life of privilege and others destined to live a life of disadvantages and failure?

Perhaps I'm no better than the people who came before me. Maybe I'm just supposed to follow in the steps of my parents and sisters. Nothing good happens to us. It's just struggle after struggle.

Suddenly I hear footsteps from in front of me. I lift my head up to find a woman standing before me.

"C'mon let's go kiddo" her soft voice begs while pulling me up to my feet.

I lean against her, struggling to walk to her car. "How chu fine mee?" I slur.

"Remember the phone tracking app we had installed after Duncan's accident?" Aunt Laura reminds me while opening her car door, sliding me into the back seat.

"She's awake" I shut my eyes, leaning my head back against the seat.

Aunt Laura leans over me, fastening my seat belt. "So you start heavy drinking?"

"She was...dis-disorientated and confused..." I ramble.

"Let's sober you up, yeah?" She says before slamming the door shut. "We'll talk about this later"

-------------------------------------

A/N

I love love love this chapter!! A part of me relates to Jason's anger so much in this chapter as I'm sure many of you do to.

Also, the next phase of Jason's story has began, you can probably take a guess based on the ending of this chapter what that phase is.

Please VOTE if you're enjoying this book!!

Thank you

Happy reading!