30 / fall apart

SOMETIME AROUND FOUR in the morning, Saakshi had ditched her bed for Dylan's, wriggling her way into his arms. The only times they shared a bed was when they were drained out from sex or during movie night. Saakshi liked her space and Dylan liked his. So, it was unusual of Saakshi to randomly shift into his bed but he didn't complain. They hadn't spoken last night. He had been asleep by the time she came into the room and he missed her. It felt nice to feel her warmth around him.

Only when Saakshi kept curling herself into a ball did he realise something was wrong. "Red? Are you okay?" he asked.

"I just got my period," she whispered back. Dylan had gathered her in his arms, rubbed her back and feathered kisses on the right side of the face until she fell asleep. She began squirming again and Dylan helped her find a comfortable position until she found sleep again. This continued till morning. Dylan had barely slept.

Despite that, he had gone out and picked up doughnuts from the cafeteria, the reason why Saakshi never missed breakfast on Tuesdays. He had gotten her her favourite milkshake from Viola's and picked up sanitary pads from the grocery store in the campus.

When he got back, he saw Saakshi crouching next to the bed, clutching her stomach. "What are you doing?"

"My hair tie."

"I'll find it. Go lay down, Red. You're not going to class, are you?"

She shook her head. Saakshi's first day of her period was the worst.

She lugged herself into the bathroom while Dylan placed the things on the table and opened his secret stash of hair ties. Just when he was taking it out, the bathroom opened and Saakshi saw him. "What's that?"

He hid his hands in his pockets. "Nothing. Just searching."

"Inside your drawer?"

Saakshi narrowed her eyes and walked towards him. "Show me what you have in your hands."

Dylan brought out empty hands but Saakshi put her hand through his pocket and fished out the hair tie. "Move aside," she said calmly.

"Red..."

"Dylan."

Saakshi knew how to make Dylan tremble. He moved away and let her discover his stash. "How long have you been doing this?"

"Since the second month of college."

Dylan knew he was screwed. He would get an earful for lying to her for a year. He braced himself for the feral screech of hers but Saakshi surprised him.

Her lips quivered and her eyes brimmed with tears. "No one has ever done something for me like this. Thank you," she said, plastering her face on his chest and hugging him tightly.

"You aren't mad?"

"I love you."

Dylan froze. It was the first time he was hearing those three words from her lips. "You mean it? You're not saying it because you're overly emotional right now?

She shook her head. "I mean it."

"You won't take it back?"

She laughed, wiping her face in his shirt. "No, I won't."

Dylan lifted her off her feet so that he could press his lips against hers. Kissing Saakshi was his favourite thing in the world. Whenever their lips touched, Saakshi's knees would go weak. She'll lay her weight on him and kiss like she hasn't kissed in ages. He loved that he had such an effect on her. I love you too, Red," he whispered, pulling away and pressing a kiss to her forehead.