02 / meet cute

THE FIRST DAY OF COLLEGE ranked top in Melannie's most boring days ever. Orientation meetings, boring introductions that no one really asked for, fake smiles and awkward conversations - she couldn't wait to catch a break.

It didn't help that Char didn't share classes with her. So, Melannie had felt so grateful when a tall, brown-skinned girl with long hair dyed blue in the end, reached out to her with a smile. They introduced themselves quickly, and she learnt that the girl was Indian and stayed in the dorms as well. Her name was Saakshi Reddy and she was sweet, not too meddling, not too unbothered. That was the only significant thing that happened all morning and when lunch break came around, she hurried to the cafeteria where Char and her agreed to meet.

The cafeteria was reasonably large but not generous enough to house both residents and non-residents during lunch. There was a lot of crowding around the tables, people milling around like mad ants and a long queue. And this crowd was despite students using the other seating areas around the campus. Just when Melannie decided it was going to be difficult finding her friend, she spotted her frantically waving, sandwiched between people in the queue. Melannie couldn't help but bark out a laugh and shake her head. She didn't understand how Char always seemed to be bubbling with energy.

"What do you want?" Char asked, when Melannie went over.

"Whatever you're getting."

"I'm getting a salad."

Melannie scrunched her nose.

"And soda," Char added.

"I forgot that your favourite food is veggie salad," Melannie said. "Get me a cheeseburger."

"Got it. I've got to buy food for Jake, Dylan and Jackson. They'll be late. Meanwhile, can you find us a table?"

That's when it struck her. Char's friends. She wanted to introduce them to each other.

Melannie had hoped she would meet them during the orientation meeting and get it over with an awkward hi and hello. She had sat there with her jaw open when Char told her that the boys skipped it. She'd said that Jake and his friends had bunked high school and toured this campus before graduation already. And Melannie knew they were very popular in high school because for some crooked reason, the rule breakers got all the privileges instead of being looked down upon. The high school social system was twisted that way.

But right now? Melannie wasn't ready. Definitely not ready to eat in front of them and make conversation.

By the time she looked at Char again, the queue had moved.

With a million possible scenarios in which this can go very wrong, Melannie moved to find a space. A part of her mind asked her daringly that she had faced so much in life, what's a casual introduction to three guys going to do. Another part of her mind screamed that it wasn't the same and it wasn't just three guys; she was going to be around them for a long time.

Readily signing up for social interactions wasn't a Melannie thing. She could feel the anxiety creep in on her. Her stomach was feeling as if someone had thrown a boulder inside, no longer hungry, but heavy and uneasy.

She finally spotted a table where the students were clearing their trash and vacating it. In four long strides, she was about to seat herself but a strong force rammed into her shoulders, making both of them topple on each other.

She winced when her elbows scraped against the ground, probably peeling away the skin. Her eyes fell to the guy beside her, dusting his shirt as if it wasn't a big deal. When he stood up without a considerate glance at her, Melannie fumed. He had the nerve to shove her off the seat and not even attempt to help her up or apologise. What a jerk. Without thinking, words slipped out of her lips.