The Dinner

My mother has got to be the coolest person on the planet. Besides me of course. She's always been the tonic to dads gin. Without her, he comes off far to strong. But as soon as she's around, he kind of, melts. As soon as she walked in from work the public displays of affection began. They're like randy teenagers. Now they were fif faffing around doing god knows what in dads "personal room". (me nor Katy have never nor do we want to ever know what is in that room. It stays locked. And that is fine by us). And to think I get moaned at if I'm so much as 30 seconds late for something they've planned..

40 minutes later, and 20 minutes late for our dinner reservations, we are all stood in the lobby of our house, dressed to the nines and waiting to leave.. Whilst mum and dad argue over who gets to drive.

"This isn't up for discussion Ana, I'm driving."

"Why should you get to drive? It's my car!" Honestly. Teenagers.

"That's it you two get in", I say, opening the door to my BMW x5, my most prized possession. "I'm driving".

Mum and dad chuckle to each other and slide onto the back seat. Katy rides passenger side and instantly commandeers the CD player. The car is suddenly filled with the sounds of Lady Gaga, with Katy singing back up.

15 minutes later we arrive at mums favourite restaurant. Oriental Palace. She's always had a thing for Chinese food. Something to do with it being the first food her and dad ever cooked together, back when she was at university. Me? I just have a penchant for fortune cookies. I park up and we go inside, once seated dad quickly orders for us, something we have all learnt to get used too. And the conversation, and the wine, easily starts flowing. We talk and eat for what must be at least 3 hours. About Katy & school. Me and dad and the business. Mum and her ever growing ever successful publishing business. My non existent love life, Katy's very busy one.

"When are you going to bring a girl home for me to meet Teddy darling?" my mum smiles at me, in that way that only she and Katy can. "Its about time you settled down with a family of your own."

"Mum, I'm only 21! Don't write me off just yet!" I laugh, knowing full well how desperate she is for a grandchild to fuss over.

"I was married by 21 dear, and had you shortly after remember!"

"You'd found your soulmate though mother, I haven't even come close," I exclaim, rolling my eyes at her.

Mum laughs, entwining her fingers around dads. "Indeed I did," she purrs, kissing him lightly on the lips.

"Ewwww not in public please!" Katy chirps up, and we all chuckle.