Time To Grow

I awoke the next morning groggy and lethargic. Memories of my thoughts the night before made me groan and I flailed my hand out in the direction of the shrill noise that was my alarm clock in the hope I would make the painful sound stop. I wish I could stay in bed today, I'm dreading the conversation I'm about to have with my folks. But it needs to be done. Sooner or later they need to be told, and I'm sure they'd notice anyway, even if I didn't tell them.

I swing my legs out of bed and pad slowly, yawning on my way, to my ensuite shower room. I turn on the faucet as I peer at my reflection in the mirror. Grey eyes and copper hair I really was the spitting image of my father. Though I can't say that's a bad thing. I step under the cascading waterfall and relished in its comforting warmth. Grabbing my favourite peppermint and vanilla body wash I started to lather up my body, starting at my chest. I soon cover every inch I can reach, silently wishing I had somebody in here with me. Somebody who could run their hands over my body the way I just had. Somebody who could wash my hair, tugging on it how I like.. This is why I need to do what I'm doing today. This is why I need to tell them.

I step out of the shower, shutting off the water as I do. I wrap myself in a large, fluffy white towel and make my way back into my bedroom.

'Teddy darling are you up?' I hear my mother outside my door.
'Just getting dressed, I'll be down in a tick.' I reply as I hear her footsteps fade away back downstairs. I throw on some clothes - grey suit pants and a blue cashmere sweater. Ruffling my hair in the mirror i sigh. That'll have to do.

I travel downstairs two steps at a time and discover my parents, and Katy all gathered around the breakfast bar, eating pancakes and drinking tea and coffee. I pull up a stool and sit down, pouring myself a mug of steaming black coffee. It's now or never Ted, time to tell them what's going on. I clear my throat and they all look up at me expectantly.

'Guys, I've got something to tell you, please don't freak out..'