42 - Patricia

It was Labor Day, and I was nervous. The previous morning, we had waved Callie off. She returned to New York in love and happy. She was even getting her old job back. It amazed me how life could work out.

Last night Jim sat me down. "I know what I want, but I need to know what you want."

"What do you want?"

"I want you to live here with me, but if you want to keep working, I understand. I can take care of you, so you don't need to." He continued before I could answer him. "We need to tell Ray and the boys and let them adjust to us. I hope to make an honest woman out of you. I loved my wife and never dreamed I'd have another until you."

So I was floating on air, but nervous because we needed to tell Ray. I prepared his favorite lunch and to add to my anxiety we invited the boys for dinner.

When Ray arrived, I was busy in the kitchen. He greeted me as Jim ushered him onto the porch. I heard Jim offer him a drink.

They started with small talk and I stepped out on the porch. Jim looked my way and Ray turned his attention to me. He studied my face for a moment.

"What's wrong?"

"Wrong?" My hands were shaking.

"You look worried. Is it Paige?"

"Paige is fine. Jim invited them to dinner."

"The baby's fine?" I nodded. "Callie, is it Callie?"

Jim spoke up. "Ray, Callie is fine. I told you they arrested the bastard."

"She's gone to start a new life in New York."  With butterflies in my stomach, I took a deep breath. "I do need to talk to you."

He scowled, and I knew he was preparing for the worst. His mind probably had my body filled with cancer.

I shut my eyes, as the words burst out of me. "I want to quit. I'm giving my notice."

"What?" He looked at Jim who was studying the ice in his glass.

"You didn't? You hired her!" His voice was filled with hurt.

"No! He absolutely did not hire me. Listen, anyone can clean for you."

"What are you going to do? Are you going to be with Callie?" He voice was calmer, as he must have decided I would have a legitimate reason to leave him.

Jim spoke before I could reply. "I know I promised you, but I really like my fingers."

I couldn't help smile despite the seriousness of our discussion.

"You're fingers?" Ray paused as if translating Jim's words.

He looked pointedly at me. "You said he didn't steal you!"

"I said, I'm not working for Jim."

Jim sighed. "Ray, Pat is staying here with me. We're together."

"Together?" 

As Ray looked from Jim to me, I walked to Jim and he reached his hand out to me. Taking his hand, I felt his strength.

"You can come over and I'll cook for you. I'll even package meals up for you."

Ray looked at Jim in disbelief, who explained, "We didn't plan it, but it happened. You and I were young when we fell in love with two best friends. I truly loved Deb just as you did Brenda, but mature love is different. I want to spend every day with her."

"Love?" Ray's face was dazed.

"Yes." I confirmed and Jim put his arm around my waist and pulled me close.

"Who is going to go fishing with me?" 

"I'll still fish." 

"And play tennis and golf." I smiled. "Maybe I'll go to Florida and cook the fish."

Ray seemed stunned by our announcement. "What did the boys say?"

Jim said, "We're telling them later. Callie knows."

"She was living here."  I smiled remembering that night.

"I don't even want to know what she caught you doing!"

Jim laughed, as I felt the warmth spread up my cheeks. I probably looked like a tomato's twin.

Ray's voice turned stern and paternal with Jim. "What are your intentions?"

"I've already told Pat, I want her to be my wife."

Flutters started in my belly and spread through my body. Hearing him tell his best friend, excited me. I loved him.

Ray absorbed our announcement and stayed through dinner. I knew he wanted to see the boys and Paige's reaction. I wished I could relax, but I was nervous about Jim's sons.

Later that afternoon, we sat looking at three shocked faces. David recovered first. "Wow Dad! I have no idea how you got Patty, but I'm happy for you."

Dan teased. "I'm a little jealous."

Paige didn't say anything. She kept looking between Jim and me.

"Paige, honey are you all right?"

She shook her head. "I think my water just broke."

It was then I noticed the puddle under her chair. Chaos broke out, as Dan became frantic.

Jim stood up, ever the voice of reason. "David drive. Dan's in no condition. We'll keep the dog here."

After they left, Ray smiled. "We're going to be grandfathers."

Jim and I just laughed.

A/N   Thanks for reading this story. Both Callie and Patricia had more than a summer thing.  I hope  you enjoyed the mature relationship of Pat and Jim.  

If you didn't meet Patricia in The Arrangement, you'll want to check out Paige and Dan's story. Also Jim and Pat appear in other The Point Stories including Christmas Lost & Found.

See my profile for my other stories and don't forget to follow me ❤️