22 - Patricia

It was nearing the end of July and Jim and I had been getting to know each other for a few weeks. Callie was enjoying her new job and was working more than just mornings, which left Jim and I time to spend together.

Often in the evening, we sat on the porch, although sometimes Jim watched the baseball game or a documentary on the flat screen in the living room, and I would join him with my book.

He would massage my feet, which felt like heaven. One night he smiled at me. I asked, "What are you smiling about?"

"You. You make me happy. That and your adorable reading glasses."

I felt a warm wave run through me. I knew he liked me, but we still hadn't really kissed. I longed to be closer physically.

Sitting on the porch one mild evening, my heart pounded in my ears and my stomach churned, I took a deep breath. "I was wondering if you, ah, wanted to, um, Jim, do you not want to kiss me?"

He looked at me and didn't speak as I thought my heart might burst out of my chest. His eyes had lost their sparkle and turned dark.

"Oh my dear, I'm afraid if I kiss you, I won't be able to stop."

My mind comprehended his words. "Oh."

"Did I shock you? It's just that I've been alone for three years and..."

"Shhhh."

I put my hand on his cheek. It wasn't smooth, but it was warm. As I went to lean in, I heard the front door open. I jumped up and hurried toward the living room.

"Hi, Mom."

"Callie, it's late those children must have been in bed for some time."

"Oh, I was helping Sam figure some things out with his book."

I shook my head as she went upstairs. Before I could react, Jim pulled me into his room. He shut the door. "You were telling me something."

"Was I?" I smiled mischievously.

He didn't answer instead he captured my lips. The kiss started gently but grew more insistent. I lost myself on his lips. His hands were in my hair holding me close. My head was spinning as if I was drunk.

Abruptly he released me. "Go to sleep, before I lose all control."

I walked upstairs, missing his closeness. I knew before summer was over we were bound to lose control.

If you like please vote ⭐️