37 - Callie

Oh my God! My mother and Jim! Part of me thought it was great and another part of me was freaking out.

I really had grown to love him. Would he marry her? David and Dan could be my stepbrothers. Paige would be my family. No wondered Mom had been so happy this summer. I noticed a difference as soon as I stepped off the bus. Were they already? Maybe not, but they liked each other. Now I saw why he didn't hesitate to have me stay.

Mom handled my relationship with Sam well enough. This whole meeting thing would be weird, but knowing Sam, he wouldn't care. I thought of Jim's words he would never hurt my mother. I wished that Sam could promise the same.

I walked into Sam's house. "I bumped into my mother at four am." Sam's mouth gaped open. "Get this, she was leaving Jim's room."

Sam smiled. "The housekeeper and the employer, a tale as old as time."

"Don't go envisioning a uniform and feather duster." I felt a surge of pride. "She's more like a household and family manager. She makes sure everything goes smoothly. She's like a wife and..."

"I'd say a wife." Sam teased.

"Stop!" I laughed. "It's bad enough thinking of my mother and you know, now to make it worse she's insisting we all have dinner tonight."

"I assume she's a good cook." He shrugged.

"The best."

"Then I'd like to meet your mother. Is she going to be upset because we are?"

"How can she? It would be like the pot calling the kettle black. Still, she worries about me."

"With everything you've been through, I'm sure she does. Stop worrying, it will be fine."

"I don't want you to feel pressured."

"Sweet Callie, you mean the world to me. It's fine."

The world to him was not a confession of love, but it was something.

Later Clara complained, "I don't want a bath!"

"Do you want to go to my house?" I was thinking of the house on the river as home. The only other home I had was the apartment over the garage.

"See your mommy and daddy?"

"Just my mommy. Jim isn't my daddy, but he's cuddly like a bear."

"A bear!" She giggled.

"A bear, a bear! Errr!" Ian bounced around.

I laughed.

"We saw mommy!"

This was news to me. "You did?"

"Yep, on daddy's puter."

I realized they must have had a visit through Facetime or Zoom.

Once both were clean and dressed, I went to find Sam. Knocking lightly on his bedroom door, I opened it to find him looking at two shirts. He was bare-chested and his bronzed skin looked so touchable.

He held the shirts up and I suggested the collared golf style over the button down which was dressier than required. He looked a little nervous. "Are you all right?"

He nodded. "It's been awhile since I've met the parents."

"Parent. Jim is just..."

"Don't get me started!" He laughed. "Come here."

I did and he rewarded me with a kiss.

Thanks for voting ⭐️