~Two Out Of Three Aint Bad~

...............

~I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you. Now don't be sad, 'cause two out of three ain't bad~

...............

I have a cat thing! How in the hell did that happen? I started to walk to work down the same old dingy streets. The rain from last night had turned into a light and misting drizzle and it smelled so refreshing.

What do I do now? I have something that I have to take care of, that I never even wanted. Why did I take the cat in anyway? It was a momentary lapse of judgement. Normally I would have just left her out in the rain.

I sigh and look at the light grey sky. The soft swirls of white and grey reminded me of her fur. How soft was she? Would she let me pet her? I started to get curious over the little cat at home. And then I remembered, I had totally forgot to mention for her not to poop or pee all over my apartment.

Oh well, hopefully she got the message last night.

I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I had not noticed the car speeding toward me. As it whipped passed me, the car hit a huge puddle and splashed me.

"HEY! Watch where you are going!" I shouted angrily and flipped off the driver. In turn, he flipped me off back. I huffed and stuffed my hands in my, now soaking wet, jacket pockets as I started walking again. Damn people! They should watch where they are driving!

"I bet he did it on purpose..." I mumbled as I stepped off the curb and crossed the street to get to my place of employment. A small convenience store. It didn't pay much, but was enough to pay my bills and keep a roof over my head.

"Ohmygosh! What happened to you?" My coworker Cheyanne asked. I shrugged in response and headed for the chip rack.

"Stupid driver splashed me as I was walking by a large puddle. I swear it was a direct hit on my life!" I placed down the bag of nacho flavoured chips on the counter and fished out my money. Cheyanne just giggled at my dramatic statement and replied, "I'm sure it wasn't a direct hit on your life, girl. He probably just didn't see you there. But that sucks, did he at least apologize?"

"Nope." I replied.

"Well, at least you have some time to dry off and get ready for your shift."

I just nodded as I handed her the money and then grabbed my change and the bag of chips. Without another word between us, I headed to the staff only room. I had two coworkers that I saw on a daily basis. Cheyanne and Melanie. Melanie is the one with the fake smile, and the one that I have to work with tonight.

Cheyanne was the closest to a friend that I had. I know she worries about me, but I won't let it get to me because seeing the pity in her eyes makes me feel uncomfortable. Why would anyone pity me? I'm used to being just a fly on the wall, invisible to all but those who knew where to look.

I look at the clock as I sat down at the lunch table. Still an hour and a half before I have to actually be working. Nice! I dug into my chips and started munching on them. Greasy goodness. I'm not fat, but I do have a bit of a belly. Comes with not caring for yourself properly I suppose.

Once I was dry enough, I grabbed my keys out of my pocket and went to my locker. Opening it, I grabbed out my emergency kit. It was just my make up, brush and hairspray. I only wear the bare minimum, lipgloss and eyeliner. I brush out the drying tangles from my dark brown locks and spray them into a straight style. Pretend to care. I breathe in and compose myself as Melanie comes in.

"Heya, Heather!" Her overly syrupy tone and giggle makes me grit my teeth.

"Hi Mel." I give her a smile and she smiles back.