Chapter Twenty Two: The Reality

"So most likely the organization is stationed around this area, making those who visit or live there in their early twenties I suspect the phantom thiefs" Kirigiri stated. I looked over the compiled research. Most from what I was accumulating over weeks, and looking at it now...

I wish I could destroy it. Ouma and DICE were now in great danger as I saw Kirigiri staring at me ready to hear my thoughts, "yeah...I think we should wait for more though" I said stalling. What can I do? What can I say that will get her to abandon the search?

How can I save Ouma?

"SAIHARA!" Kirigiri shouted snapping me out of my thoughts, "sorry..." I apologized as she sighed, "seriously I must have been saying your name for ten minutes" she cursed. I looked down embarrassed, "what's happened?" she asked I looked at her confused.

"Your department has given me some useful intel" she started, "ever since the beginning the closer you seem to be getting to the thief's identity, you seem to start searching miles in the opposite direction" they commented, "I've seen your previous work, so this isn't like you" they noted.

"Are you being threatened?" they interrogated. I shook my head, "No one is threatening me, I guess I've been tired lately" I lied. Kirigiri didn't look convinced, "you need to get your head back inside the case, in any matter of days it's going to end Saihara, and you need to be ready for it" they scolded as they scooped up the case file as they headed out the door of the office, "get your head back in the game" they instructed as they closed the door.

I looked down and groaned. Ouma...why did it have to be like this? Why did you have to be the phantom thief? 

....

...

...

If you weren't the thief though if you never did it, how would we have met again though? How would I have realized what kind of person you were? The fun and energetic person I know you are...

I wouldn't have been able to see you before you potentially died of hanahaki...you would've just been gone without me never really getting to know a part of you that you kept locked away inside so many walls and barriers. 

Would I have even known if you did die?

The thought of Ouma being gone in my life was slowly crushing and tearing me apart. Like a slow-acting poison. A feeling I just really don't know how to explain...but I think I know who would.

I dialed the familiar number.

"Shuichi? Why did you call- Did you try cooking again?! CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!-" My uncle screamed in panic, "no Uncle it wasn't from me cooking" I told him a little disappointed in him. I immediately heard his sigh of relief "what is it that you need then?" he asked.

I quickly made sure the office door was locked and closed the mini curtains of the window as I spoke in a hushed voice, "this doesn't go on farther than you and me ok?" I instructed, "of course" my uncle replied.

I took a deep breath, "Uncle....I...there's a friend I have" I started, "he's in really deep trouble...and he's done a lot of bad things...but I want to protect him...even if it means I lose my job and I'm locked away myself I want to protect him but I don't know how...please tell me how!" I begged.

"Shuichi...is that friend you mentioned the phantom thief?" My Uncle asked, "I-" I started to answer, "don't give me names, just tell me the story ok?" he asked, "alright" I said.

"So I have a friend...I've known him since high school, he's really important to me...and yes he is the phantom thief...but he doesn't deserve to be locked up!

"He and the thieves are orphans and runaways just trying to survive and paying off debts they owe to bad people, horrible people. Their lives were in danger...yet he always keeps smiling and joking off every time we met Uncle...

"He knew I was after him and his organization from the start...and he never even batted an eye, he never even tried to get me to leave or abandon the case...he just accepted his fate and played games with me both as the thief and himself.

"He's been beaten and hurt and betrayed...yet he still keeps pushing himself to near-death for that organization Uncle...and when I confronted him he asked me to spare them...I can't lock away someone like that...

"I want them to just be happy. Even if I'm not around that's all I want" I told him. My uncle didn't respond for a while.

"Are you in love Shuichi?" My uncle asked and my eyes widened. Love? With Ouma? I mean...I love that mischievous smile...those games he always plays...we have similar interests...HE LOVES SOMEONE ELSE GET A GRIP SHUICHI!

"Shuichi do you love this person?" My uncle repeated. I took a deep breath, "yes..." I admitted to myself. My uncle laughed on the other end, "then what are you even asking me this for? Fight for him Shuichi!" My uncle insisted.

"But he's a thief and I'm a detective-" I reminded, "I told you if its the right person you can make it work, and if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out," my uncle encouraged, "Uncle he's in love with someone else...he has hanahaki" I told him.

This made my uncle pause for longer. No doubt reminding him of the memories of his own lost friend and crush he never got the chance to confess to.

"Tell him anyway," My uncle said, "because from what you've been telling me if that lover of his hasn't even noticed him or helped him then he doesn't deserve that boy's love. Fight for him Shuichi, I know you can do it" My uncle said.

I smiled a little at the encouragement, "thank you" I said.

"No problem so does this mean I'm getting-" My uncle started excitedly 'UNCLE WE'RE NOT EVEN DATING YET!" I scolded him, "I heard that yet, I'm going to be a grandpa soon enough!"

I kept trying to shush him when Kirigiri came in and handed me a paper. It made my eyes widen.

Day to attack DICE, tomorrow.