Chapter 14: Holding Hands

I screamed, the twig stabbing me in my side, making me fall out the tree onto the grass.

"Ya scared the life out of me, man." The person shouted.

"Pony, what the hell are ya doing on the roof?" I yelled.

"Shhh or ya wake up everyone else." He whispered but shouted back. It looked so peaceful and calming where he was.

"What ya doin'?"

"Star gazing." He said and looked at the sky again. "If I stay out here long enough I will see the sunrise."

I smiled. I remembered watching the sunsets on the south side when I had time, or Dad just hadn't shouted at me for one reason or another. "Ya couldn't sleep."

"Nah. Everyone in the lounge?"

"Dunno." I answered. "Johnny's not, nor is Dally but everyone else is."

"Guessing ya ain't goin' to school tomorrow." I had thought 'bout going to school by the idea of running 'round a field made my side hurt more.

"Guess not."

"Ya going to the DX." He looked back at the ground and at me.

"Suppose so."

He turned back so I took it as an invitation to go back inside, which I did, and after getting to the lounge, I lied down on the sofa and when I closed my eyes, sleep did come.

*********

"Hey Soda, can ya bring Zo to the DX, I don't trust her being on her own and I'm not going to force her to go to school?" Someone said and it woke me up.

"She needs a uniform." Steve replied.

"I have a white shirt and black jeans." I sat up. "I can wear that."

"And she can wear my spare shirt." Soda jumped up the stairs to come back down again with a shirt that looked way to big for me. I grabbed my purse from the side and shoved it in my jean pocket. I changed in the bathroom, taking off my plasters and having a hot shower, which made everything sting. I dried myself and came out with a messy bun, sunglasses on my head, my jeans and white top, as well as the DX t-shirt half tucked in.

We got in Steve's car 'bout 15 minutes later and I sat at the back. Pony and Johnny hadn't left for school but they said bye to me all the same.

When Steve started to drive off, I decided to make some conversation.

"Where'd ya want me to go?" I asked.

"The girls won't started to come and drool 'till after school, so ya can go anywhere 'till about 3 when school ends and then ya have to be at the counter with me." Steve said and I laughed.

"Some girls come to buy things." Soda tried to prove himself.

"Yeah. There's one every year." Steve chipped in. "And this year it was ya, Zola."

I chuckled. I looked out the window and watched as the scenery past by the car.

Steve drove into the DX garage, and we got out the car. I followed Soda up to the counter, picking out a bar of chocolate on the way.

"So Sodapop." I started and he chuckled. I was acting formal and well spoken. "Many girls come here to drool?" I put the money on the counter.

"The last time ya went here, that was the first time, wasn't it?" He picked up the cash and put it in the tray.

"Yeah." I looked at him as we both sat on the two chairs and he flicked through a magazine.

"Ya have to wait and see."