Chapter 4: The Unexpected Meeting

I was feeling nauseous, like in the pit of my stomach I knew something bad was going to happen. There would be tears and mourning and the cops. There would be sirens and screams and hopeless cries that no one would hear. I was there. In the back seat of someone's car. They looked familiar, like I had seen them before but in a different form. The woman had long blonde hair and she looked beautiful in her mustered yellow dress. She had crossed her legs elegantly, suddenly placing her hands on top of them, as she turned to talk to the man. He seem like a bubbly, easy-going, gentle man, who I thought would make a charming father. Placing his hand out of the open window, he carried on with their conversation. He was saying four names over and over again, like a broken tape that needed to be rewinded. He stuck on one though. 'Darrel'. And then 'College' and 'Football'. I had never heard about anyone called Darrel but suddenly, it felt like I knew him all along.

My stomach, lifted and fell slightly as, I thought, we went down into a pot hole but I couldn't be more wrong. The bumpier and bumpier it got, the more eager I was to look at the window and eventually I did. I stared at the horizon which made me relax. There was the sunset, painting the sky different hues of yellow and orange. Looking down, there were two metal lines which made us go up and down, like we were on a rollercoaster but they made a crunching sound as the metal tracks met the shell of the car. Train tracks.

I had this sick thought in my mind and the image I was picturing was crystal clear as if it was real. I shook my head. 'That won't happen. That won't happen. Not with them.' I looked at the people sitting calmly at the front. They looked so safe. So innocent. So kind. So venerable.

Jumping out of my skin, I fell cold all over. I closed my eyes at the sight of it but had to reopen them as it was a sight that shocked me. The lady opened her mouth. Wide. But instead of screaming she turned a sort of crimson colour, like all the blood had poured to her head, but we weren't upside down; yet. She turned purple and her arms shook on her lap. It wasn't a sight ya would scream at. Instead, it was a sight you would stare at and never look away. Your eyes wouldn't let you. Ya couldn't even blink.

A light flashed and filled the space, letting me look away from the woman and make my eyes blink as they were watering real bad. She turned and looked at me but it didn't feel like she was directing her eyes towards me. Well not completely. It felt like she was looking straight through me and to a person behind. I followed her gaze and it came to under me. I shuffled sideways and from then everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Sitting in the middle back seat was a girl. She looked about two to three years younger than me, but she, like her mother had turned a dark hue of purple. She had blonde hair and icy blue eyes that looked scared and helpless, like they had given up. The lady touched her thigh and looked her straight in the eyes. "I love you honey." A tear rolled down her face. "Isla I'm sorry."

"Mom," the girl whispered but it was useless.

"Isles. It's okay." The lady undid her seatbelt and started to climb onto the backseat.

I stared at her. Crap. Crap. Crap.

"Isla duck." The poor lady screamed as she looked out the window and everything turned to normal speed again. The mother jumped covering Isla, but before that there was a sound that pieced my ears. A train's horn.

The car got flung in the air and I saw it fly off the track into the mud. I didn't seem to be inside the car anymore but on level ground. I felt eyes staring at me from behind, but when I looked back there was a girl standing there. Dripping in blood and screaming. I covered my ears. She ran towards me, falling and screaming even louder as she hit the floor. I looked at her but started to run. Away. I ran away. Hearing her cries of help from behind me. Hearing her yelps of pain but I just ran. Not even stopping to take a look back.