01 | Coffee, Beans and Pot Plants

Running a café isn't too hard, is it?

~

The two-dollar open sign goes up on the coffee shop window at exactly 6AM.

Jongdae hums as he slips into the kitchens and carelessly throws his bag somewhere -anywhere- (it might hit a chair on a good day) before switching the lights on. Pale panelled lights flicker on and he can see how wonderful his aim is (or not), and he meditates in the corner with the comforting buzz of awakening coffee machines.

Early mornings are detestable, and most people agree with him, like the chubby-cheeked man trudging in.

He's watched this guy smash the door closed and pretty much break the doorbell every single day for around one and a half years, so he isn't too bothered by it. It helps, seeing their miserable faces, and generally puts a wry smile on his face. Maybe he doesn't really hate mornings.

His watch reminds him that it's really only 5 minutes since the last time he checked, but he already feels like going back home to bed. Okay, he definitely hates mornings.

Minseok, who goes by the more friendly sounding Xiumin, looks like he might either fall asleep on the spot or kill the first person he sees on most days, and it is always Jongdae himself who bears the brunt of his wrath.

Xiumin jostles past him even though there's about 1.5 other metres of doorway to walk through and hurls his backpack and slouchy red beanie down, and Jongdae can't help but envy him for his admittedly impeccable aim.

The bag and hat land safely on a stool whereas his own belongings are a crumpled mess on the floor with things spilling out from an open zip.

Guess today isn't a good day.

Eyes closed, Xiumin hauls a sack of beans effortlessly onto the counter. In a foolish burst of confidence, Jongdae too tries to pick up a bag of beans as well. Foolish burst of confidence it is indeed, and Jongdae drops the sack on his foot with a solid thump instead.

"OH SHIT," he whines, hopping around stupidly while tears brim in his eyes. He curses the bag for being so heavy, and mourns his own lack of strength. He catches sight of Xiumin's bared arms, and that -Jongdae just wants to sob now- muscle.

Xiumin exhales with a long-suffering sigh and drags the sack onto the table with one hand. Now it feels like his manliness took a bashing too, and it seems to even overpower the throb in his foot.

He is presently ignores in favour of boiling water and clattering cutlery and dishware. Jongdae pouts, and fiddles with the knobs and buttons on the coffee machine.

He's injured.

Where is the gentle, concerned help?

Non-existent.

No fair. Xiumin helped Tao when he scalded himself with hot water because he was too busy checking out a regular customer. And that was just Tao being Tao.

On top of that, Jongdae is his boss too -well, his grandmother is, so close enough- so he should be helped with extra concern. Alas, Xiumin doesn't care at all.

Tao saunters in, and Jongdae wants to fall to the floor in a fit of uncontrollable amusement. He can just feel it, the bubbles of laughter in his throat.

He can just feel it.

Jongdae highly doubts Tao's sense of fashion but it's so entertaining to see what he comes up with every day that he never comments, for fear that poor Tao will take offense and leave. But then again, the wages his grandmother proposes are pretty much irresistible.