7. Ascension of the Protégé

Celestina Wiroviana's plans required her to leave Stujorkian City early in the morning. She received the message from her pilot that her shuttle was en route to Schmarlo Tower's landing pad. She rolled over and looked into Tomar's eyes.

"I suppose you are leaving soon?" he inquired.

"Only because the universe needs us to save it," she whispered, with a coy look in her eyes.

Chuckling, they embraced in another passionate kiss. Their relationship was one of extreme passion and intensity, but also of distance and selfishness. Tomar was now the Chairman of one of the Eleven. He commanded one of the most influential organizations in the known universe. Only six Corporations boasted a higher valuation, but he knew that would soon change. She was the Chief Executive Minister of the Ministry for Interplanetary Corporate Relations. It was an elected position that arguably was the most powerful government position on the two planets, and more importantly, it regulated those powerful Eleven Corporations.

That their relationship should be a secret was more than an understatement. It was expressly forbidden by the bylaws of the Donovackia Corporation and the rules that governed the Ministry. For a Minister, especially the Chief Executive Minister, to be involved in an intimate relationship with any board member or employee of one of the Eleven, especially a Chairman of one, was not only unethical, it was also potentially perilous. But neither gave a damn. Power breeds arrogance, and often an arrogance that believes that rules only apply to others.

"In any event, my dear Tomar, you have a board meeting in a few hours. I wish I could be there to see their faces. After watching Greylorent blasted into that wall and slumping to the floor yesterday, I can only imagine how compliant and agreeable they will be to any of your ideas and suggestions."

He studied her as she dressed, knowing in a few moments she would slip into the secret elevator that connected his apartments with her official residence in Stujorkian City.

"You look radiant as always, my love," he declared, as she began to walk towards the door. She returned to the bed and kissed him one last time before she left.

"Behave while I am gone," she remarked, trying to sound serious.

"Perhaps, I will. Perhaps – I won't," he replied.

"Tomar," she warned seductively, "you never behave, and I promise to punish you the next time we are together."

She looked at the silk straps, which were tied to the bedposts, and both of them laughed. This relationship had what both of them craved in so many ways. With each other, they could express their secret desires, not just those that are played out in the bedroom, but also the lust for power that consumed each of them. They were soulmates. It was a cruel fate that brought them together when the rules forbade their love. Breaking those rules only fanned the flames of their desire and added intensity to each of their personal ambitions. Eventually, their relationship would be public, but only after they reshaped the universe to their vision.

*****

"My lady, welcome aboard," said one of her secretaries as she boarded her shuttle. As always, Celestina looked impeccable. She had long ago known that she was destined for great things, so she looked and dressed the part. With the shuttle abuzz with activity, she headed towards her private office. While she had multiple "official residences," an "official office" in Stujorkian City, and another on Zoranth in the beautiful city of Zanthantium, this shuttle and another nearly identical one on Zoranth were her real offices.

The morning was filled with the official business required of her position, and she executed her job with absolute precision. No Chief Executive of the Ministry had ever been so effective, efficient, or as ruthlessly focused and driven. She had gathered power to herself at an astounding rate. Those close to her in the Ministry knew that she was becoming an unstoppable force, but to the public on both Koranth and Zoranth, she was loved and adored. She was heading to the Moran-Kathor Portal, which would transport her to Zoranth. Because her official duties would keep her there for some time, she decided a small detour was needed.