She gave me a smile. It was very calming I must say, "You didn't. Just making an observation is all, but you're right. I was, I believe, four years younger than you are now?" I nodded in confirmation, "And you're also right about me not being born into royalty, but age and status doesn't define who we are and what we feel. You have every right to be nervous Laylah, believe me. If you weren't, I'd be worried. The outside world is a huge place and you have a lot to explore. Don't be afraid to do that."

She placed her hand on my shoulder before standing up and walking back over to her table.

She was right. As much as I didn't want to admit it. I've lived twenty-four years enclosed within my own castle walls and now was a better time than any to get out there and see what the outside world has to offer.

I did a scan of the room quickly to see my Dad dancing with Queen Anneliese and my Mum dancing with King Kylan. I then turned my attention to the guards to see them preoccupied with something, so I took that as my opportunity to sneak out of the room.

I wasn't about to run away or anything, but where better place to start exploring than Kindridas. It was full of mages, so it had to look pretty amazing.

Once I had managed to sneak out of the castle completely, I took in a breath of fresh air before walking ahead.

As I looked up at the sky, I could see hundreds of floating lanterns, making it seem like the stars were shining much brighter than usual. It was truly a sight to see. I was just fascinated by everything that was around me right now.

It was so different to what I was used to back at home and seeing everything how it is now has made me realise that there is so much more outside of our walls. There is literally a whole other world waiting to be explored and the fact that for some reason, I'm unable to do that, makes me not only annoyed, but sad.

Don't get me wrong, I had a good childhood, especially having Addison by my side through it all, but there was one particular moment that stood out to me right now.

*Flashback*

"I wonder if we could climb the walls."

Addison looked at me as if I was crazy. She was never one to really hide what she was feeling and she would always tell me if I was doing something wrong. I loved her for it, but it was annoying sometimes,

"Are you insane? It's almost twenty foot high! We're cats, not acrobats."

I gave her a small smile and nodded towards some of the trees, "You know, some of those reach the top of the wall. All we'd need to do is climb the trees and then jump over the wall. Easy."

She ran a hand over her face, "No, not easy. It's dangerous. What's wrong with staying where we are?"

I sighed and sat down on the ground, leaning back against the trunk of a tree, "It's the same thing every day. It's either 'Laylah, do this.' Or 'Laylah, don't do that.' Sometimes I just want to do what I want to do but I can't."

Addison sat down next to me, "You only have a few more years until you're eighteen, then you can do that."

I scoffed, "As if my parents would ever allow that to happen. They'll keep me here until I'm fifty if they have anything to do with it."

She chuckled, "They may be strict but they're not heartless Lay."

I repeatedly rubbed my right ear, I tended to do that when I was either really nervous or when I was in deep thought,

"I hate being a Princess."

She turned and gave me a sad smile before placing her hand over mine, "Unfortunately, it's something you can't change. I'll be with you every step of the way though. It's not like I really have a choice, I live with you."