Chapter 61: The battle of Coruscant

"Never I have pictured myself doing this," Danny said.

"Well, you do know. Do not get sidetracked from our plan, Phantom," Grievous responded.

The wind was blowing Phantom's stark locks and cape at such height. Being half a mile above the ground had implications of its own. Danny could do little but observe the massive battle transpiring in front of him. The rising sun of this part of the planet glistened at the glacial skyscrapers, and the noise was deafening. Star Fighters of both sides were flying on neck breaking speeds in a battle for the sky dominance. On a long distance Phantom could see the real battle, but he needed to be where he was at the moment. Above them were small dots, hundreds of them, but the ghost knew perfectly well what they were.

"The droids are keeping the guards occupied in the lower levels," the cyborg rasped. "The Chancellor's office's window is two stores beneath us."

Yes, the grand plan was about to be put into fruition. The atrocious fight was going everywhere, in space, in the air and on the land. The Confederacy's strike came out as a complete 'surprise'. Phantom never bothered to actually tell his colleagues about the trap which was soon to spring.

Danny also kept wondering about the future events. The attack was going to obliterate third of the fleet of the Confederacy. Which in turn meant that the space belonging to the CIS were going to be attacked and not being able to resist. It in turn meant panic. And that implied that both the Senate and the Council would follow the one who had an army - one particular stark haired undead. At the same second he would have power over the neutral systems, the Empire and the Confederacy, leaving a pathetic chunk of the Republican territories. Just according to plan, he needed to play everything right to avoid extra bloodshed.

An attack on Coruscant of all places? For the people below it was the nightmare they hoped would never happen. They knew that the Republic didn't have many successes, they were being pushed from system after system by the Confederate droids and the Protectorate Legions. Yet, the stab at the very heart of the Republic was a low and hard blow. Effective, though.

"How are you going to..."

Grievous's three-clawed hand pierced the metal cover of the Senate building. Danny could feel a smirk beneath the durasteel mask of his. Phantom calmly stepped over the edge, floating in the air and looking back. He couldn't resist a smirk at the look in the General's eyes. For the Republic the man was nothing but a horrific monster, and many atrocities were on his account. Phantom didn't like to sully himself by going along with the feared general, but the job needed his presence.

Grievous went ahead of the ghost, using his metal legs to go down surprisingly quickly. Phantom followed him, descending lower. Once above the glass, Danny took an invisible peep inside the room, before returning. The Chancellor was guarded by a contingent of the Senate guards, the clones and the Jedi. Phantom told his accomplice as such.

"No matter," Grievous said.

Then he burst inside the room, breaking the glass. Danny rolled his eyes and floated in the room.

"How crude," he commented and stepped on the broken glass. The man ignored the situation in the room.

"Who are you to break in into the Chancellor's office?!" Palpatine exclaimed, pointing an accusatory finger at Grievous.

Phantom had to give it to the old man. He sure was brave. Grievous was about to snatch the Chancellor, but he was pulled backwards, into the Jedi Master's grip. She was of the same race as Ahsoka, with very long headtails.

"Protect the Chancellor!" She exclaimed, as she, some of the clones and her fellow Jedi retreated behind the door.

About twenty armed men were pointing weapons at them.