Chapter 28: Taking a ward

When Komand entered the cave, she found out that it could be pretty dark in secluded places. Discovery of the century. The woman ignited the lightsaber, and the crimson light filled the surroundings, reflecting off the ice and snow. She sighed, understanding that it will be a long way.

"Now where should I go?" Komand mumbled to herself.

A funny thought occurred in her mind. Everything is so simple when you can always count on some mysterious force to show you the way. Komand closed her eyes and pointed at the random direction. She opened her eyes and smirked. Alright, here it comes.

After walking about hundred meters through the dark corridors of the cavern, Komand started to shiver already. Her race wasn't made for ice climate. She pressed a small button on her coat and it started to warm up. She sighed in content and continued her way. There was a slight edge before her. Komand slid down the snowy hill and got down, sending gusts of snow in the air. It was when it actually ended, and there were only rocks beneath her feet.

The apprentice continued her journey deep in the icy caverns. It was beginning to get boring, really. She found nothing even closely resembling a crystal after continuously searching for it. Komand had to go deeper and deeper into the cave. She wasn't worried about losing directions in that endless labyrinth, the Force was a very universal guide in every hole its users could get into. However so far it was guiding her in circles. Komand passed the same corner five times, and on the sixth time there was a tick mark on her forehead.

She decided to go through, literally. Komand saw an ice wall, and a 'corridor' behind it. She pierced it with her lightsaber and made a circle, before pushing it out with the Force. The woman went through the newly made hole and continued her way. It wasn't much different, except for the number of stalactites and stalagmites around, which wasn't exactly the most important matter. That was until the apprentice heard a roars on a distance, along with a terrified scream. Komand's eyes widened in shock, before she ran towards the source of the noise.

Komand soon got to the source of that sounds, or more exactly the sources. Asharl panthers, feline predators about two meter in length. Four animals had two toes on each foot tipped with non-retractable claws. They had blue fur which was incredibly dense, yet smooth, across their entire bodies. Their heads were broad an they lacked ears, while their beady eyes were located beneath pronounced brow ridges. Expressive, the asharl's snout was blunt and their hall filled with large exposed teeth. Large, tentacle-like sensory organs grew from their shoulders, one on each side. Thick nerve bundles ran up the fronds from which the panthers could pick up the vibrations that came from behind, preventing any threat from catching the asharl unawares.

More importantly, she saw a girl snuggled fearfully in the corner. Komand narrowed her eyes and turned on the lightsaber.

"Hey, kittens, pick someone of your strength!"

The apprentice took battle stance as the felines turned to her. Typical, they decided to pick the bigger pray. She gripped her weapon tightly, waiting for them to strike. Suddenly one of them lunged at her from behind, as expected. Komand spun around and stabbed the animal in its head. She then pushed away the other beasts who tried to jump on her. They hit the icy walls of the cavern and fell on the floor. They got on their clawed feet quickly, before attacking again. Komand rolled her eyes and charged a lighting in her free hand, before frying one of them to death.

She jumped to the side and chopped another feline's head off in the process. Then she missed a hit of the last predator, luckily its claws left the apprentice unscathed, she was only tossed away as her lightsaber flew out of her hand. When the panther prepared to tear her apart, Komand  rolled away from the beast's path, jumped on her feet and pulled the weapon into her hand. The predator growled again and started pacing in front of the woman. It then ran at her. With bored expression she lifted a rock and threw it at the approaching animal. However, it jumped out of the way and lunged forward, only to have itself being stabbed in the head and pinned to the ground. Komand took a breath and got on her feet.