Chapter Thirteen ... The Second Sacrifice

Start from the beginning

This was a decision he'd have to make, I couldn't go with him into the woods. And Mya was no longer there to stop her mate from killing unclaimed pups.

He and Soren did have a connection, it was something we all saw, but because they were children we brushed it off.

and I know it's wrong, but what could any of us do. We aren't Luna, we don't have the power to fool around with Fate, so I put it in Fates' hand.

#   #   #

Thirty minutes after I ended training with my son, I was back outside in the warm southern sun.

Showered and dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, the food was just getting done and the second feast was about to begin.

I looked around, from my vantage point on the high hill in the backyard, I watched all four packs, sitting to eat together, the children playing together.

It was beautiful, but like a moth to the flame, my eyes panned through the crowd, landing on Lucas. He was seated with my mom, his, Luna  Sarah, and Luna Mitchell from the Golden Wolves pack.

He was laughing about something I couldn't hear, but his smile was everything. It seared into my soul, causing a smile to erupt on my face.

I decided to leave him alone, let him have some space. I went and sat with the Alphas.

Christian, Carson, and Marcus. Our fathers were also present, and sitting down with them I fell easily into the conversation.

"Is Mitchell happy with the pregnancy?" My dad asked Marcus. Marcus is the Alpha of the Golden Wolves. Their pack is only twenty years old.

Marcus's father was my father's old war advisor, an Alpha who moved his family to Arkansas and built a pack called the Golden Wolves.

"Mitchell is a little too excited... Is it wrong of me to be so nervous?" Marcus asked, and I looked down.

I didn't have an answer, I wasn't around when my mate was pregnant, because I was too stupid to know how much I'd need him, crave him.

"It's not wrong, Omega' are made to bear pups, but it isn't always safe, especially if they don't shift into their wolf on time," Christian said.

"Oh Chris, I meant to ask if you found a new Beta?" Marcus asked. Christian needed a new Beta, because of a recent attack on his pack.

His Beta Kasey, the Beta's mate, and another handful of people were killed by hunters. The Beta left Christian raising his son, the poor kid has left as an orphan.

"Yeah, Sam was chosen. Kasey's son
Shawn is still recovering, poor pup lost his mother and father on the same day. Alice says we just gotta be there for him, but I don't know what to say or do most of the time." Christian said.

"Well, at least tell us you hunted down the hunter's who attacked your pack?" Carson asked, staring intensely through his graying bushy brows.

"Tracked them back to Oklahoma, they're Garrison's," Christian answered. We all made sounds of disgust.

The Garrison's are not just werewolf hunters, they are the werewolf hunters. The oldest hunting party in America.

Their family history dates back to the beginning of this country, supposedly the first hunter in their party came over on the Mayflower.