Chapter Thirteen ... The Second Sacrifice

POV
Stone

"Pull Stone, even though it hurts, remember you are an Alpha

"Pull Stone, even though it hurts, remember you are an Alpha. You're the strongest type of wolf. Now pull!" I yelled.

Little Stone and I were training, my kid, his work ethic is plain ridiculous, he wanted to train for the upcoming fights, even though the other kids were enjoying the Gathering.

"And stop," I said. We dropped the ropes that were over our shoulders, together we'd pulled my truck about four miles away from the packhouse.

It was mostly me, but for a six-year-old, Stone was incredibly strong.

"We're done, I want you to go shower, then relax, get something to eat and go play with the other pups," I said, and he sighed.

"What's the matter pup?" I asked, squatting so we were eye level. "I-- Soren and I... Ever since he came back from the wild woods, he hasn't been the same." He said sadly.

"What's changed?" I asked. "He doesn't look at me the same, he barely leaves his house. It feels like he doesn't like me anymore."

I listened to him vent, and I wanted to just hug him and tell him everything would be alright, but I couldn't; he needed to be strong.

"Listen to me pup, Soren is going through a lot, he's a kid with an adult wolf, that hasn't ever happened before, so it's new. Then his wolf is mateless, that's gotta be painful, instead of worrying about his behaviors, just be there for him." I said.

"A-about his mate, aren't there second chance mates, sometimes?" He asked.

"Yes, but that rarely happens, especially when your mate isn't dead. You know just because you really like Soren, it doesn't mean you two will be mates, your mate could be a girl, or two girls, hell two boys." I explained

"No, Soren was mine, I know it, I could feel it, well at least I did before he came back from the woods." He said. "Well then son, we'll pray you were wrong," I responded.

I hoped he was wrong, I would pray he was; because if he wasn't, when he turned nineteen and his wolf discovered his mate dead, he'd discover the hallow.

The hallow is worse than rejection, it's numbness, I've only ever read about it. Those who've experienced it writes of a feeling of being completely empty, walking around basically dead on the inside, no emotional spark.

"What if I find Soren's wolf's mate, Miro. What if I accept him as my wolf?" He asked.

"No!... That wolf isn't yours, and from what the Elders told me after speaking with Soren's wolf, Miro isn't a good wolf. He's killed multiple pups over the last two hundred years. Promise me you won't go looking for that beast when it's your turn to find your wolf." I demanded.

"I-- I'm gonna go find Caleb and Zeke." He said, turning and running off.

I thought about chasing him, making him promise me, but what good would that do. I'd only be putting him in the position to break his promise.