Chapter Nine ... The Invited Guest

POV
Stone

Things grew hectic as the weeks went on, and the pack started to prepare for the Gathering

Things grew hectic as the weeks went on, and the pack started to prepare for the Gathering. Though it was a time for community, family, and fun, it was also a competition, one between packs and the Luna's.

The other packs, stopped trying because we always host the best Gatherings.

The job of preparing, of course, fell down to the Luna.

Though he hated it Lucas agreed to plan it, he was even kind enough to include Nancy in on the plans, as she'd been working on the Gathering for a year.

As the big event was only a week away, I and all the other able-bodied men were building pavilions, a stage, and the fight pit.

We stopped training to focus on those things that needed to get done.

My son wasn't just angry with Lucas, he was angry with me because I wouldn't make Soren stop training. The kid is super petty, he gets that from my mom.

He was pissed because Soren wasn't talking to him, I told him it was his own fault, he shouldn't have threatened to end their friendship.

Lucas hated his duties as Luna, but he was great at the job. Most of the pack adored him, save for Nancy and her little Omega minions.

I still had flowers delivered every day, he stopped rejecting them, he still wants to be mad at me. Even though he saved my life during the battle with the Hunter's.

He saved my life twice if he truly hated me, why not let me die. He'd argue he did it to save his own life, but I don't believe that... He did it cause he secretly feels the bond.

Luna blessed me, I just couldn't get all the way through to him, but I wasn't going to give up, not ever.

#   #   #

"Will you focus damnit!" Arthur yelled, when I accidentally bashed his hand with a hammer, trying to nail two pieces of wood together.

"So-sorry," I said, staring off across the widespread territory at my mate. He was over by the treeline, directing the pack hunters were to take the hordes of fresh meat they were carrying.

"Has he responded to the flowers?" Arthur asked, "No, and I didn't expect him to. Oh I'm sorry for rejecting you, here are some roses." I said, shaking my head.

"Okay, so you've sincerely apologized, you've offered to help fix things. Now you need to demonstrate your value." Arthur guided. "Demonstrate my value, how?" I asked.

"I don't know, Lucas is a lot stronger than most submissive mates. He won't just cave. Find out what bothers him, good and bad... Then work around those things. Just prove to him you're worth forgiveness." He said, and I nodded, pretending not to be greatly confused.

"How's Soren doing?" I asked, "He's not allowed to leave the house, his wolf has finally found him. He's so hostile, it'd be cute if Lucas hadn't started training him. Now he's a tyrant, pushing his little bit of weight around." Arthur said, laughing at whatever memory played in his head.

"He told me no this morning, I told him to come and eat breakfast and he flat out said no. I don't know what Lucas did, but he definitely helped Soren."  Art said.

"Dad, can I help you guys?" Little Stone asked he came walking up to Art and me with a drill in his hand.

"Yes, but put that down," I said, and he frowned, mumbling something under his breath, that sounded like he compared me to his mother.

"Sir is Soren okay?" Little Stone asked Arthur.

"Yes, but he's about to shift into his wolf form for the first time, so his mom isn't allowing him out," Arthur answered.

"Can I go see him?" Stone asked, "He's mad at you, and with his wolf being so close on edge, I think it may be best if you wait a few days." Art said.

"Okay, but this all my mom's fault, he was fine until he started training him." Stone said, holding a nail while Art hammered it.

"No, it's not, your mom is helping Soren, tell'em Art," I added, hammering another plank for the stage.

"Your dad is right little Alpha, because of your mom Soren's learning to stand up for himself, his stutter is practically gone. He needed help." Art said.

"Yeah well, he had me." Stone said, throwing down the bag of nails and storming off.

"Two hundred dollars says their mates." Art mused, and I laughed saying no deal. "I agree with you, that's not money I'm willing to lose," I said, and we laughed.

#   #   #

My day had been going mostly good, I was doing fine, helping build the stage that we had at every Gathering.

It was used for karaoke, we always had a live band, and pack members who were inclined could go up and sing.

It was always fun watching people make a fool of themselves, though some members from my pack and the other three could sing.

Though my day of building had gone good, my night wasn't. I had eaten dinner,  I had taken a shower and I was set to go handle some pack business.

I had to write a letter explaining to the council, that my pack was going to be hosting over eighteen hundred wolves on my territory.

We needed clearance, and the council would have to be the ones to issue it. I was writing that letter, explaining why we'd hosting such a large amount of wolf, plus when and for how long.

Finishing up as a gentle knock hit my door.

"Come in," I called looking up when I heard my door shut. "Lucas... Um, am I in trouble?" I asked, trying to gauge his mood. I'd be able to tell if he marked me, but that was a dream.

"I... I invitedafriendtothegathering." His words were jumbled, but I heard exactly what he said. "Who? That guy you lived with?" I asked, wanting to break my desk in half.

"Well... Yes actually." He answered, "I just wanted to let you know, I didn't want to just spring him on you." He continued.

Part of me wanted to shout, wanted to destroy shit, wanted to bend my mate over and make his body submit; yet Arthur's face flashed in my head.

"Okay, I'll be cool, just, please... Please don't flaunt him around me." I said, and Lucas frowned. "He and I aren't an item, neither are you and I, but I get it... We are pretty close though, so you might feel that. Okay?" He asked.

"I-I'll be cool," I repeated, needing him to leave my office before the waterworks started. I know pathetic right?

•°•°•°•||•°••°•°||•°•°•°||•°•°•°•||•°•°•||•°•°•°||