Adulteress

Early in the morning found Jesus in the temple, teaching the people even as they came unto Him. There were not many that denied that Jesus had a powerful influence over the people. Meek, and mild, yet He spoke with skill and wisdom not even the scribes had. No man would lay a hand on Him, for His hour had not yet come.

Miriam tried to rip away from her captors, over a dozen scribes and Pharisees one last time, but their clutch on her became harder. Vicious. Anger and bitter, and yet ashamed, especially as eyes fell upon her, the tears welled up in her eyes spilling in quick succession down her cheeks, gobbing sporadically in the rouge she had on. To be seen like this, to have all eyes upon her during a drag-of-shame was all the punishment she needed never to commit adultery again, but it was not going to be enough for them. And what of Yefet? Sure enough, he got off scot-free. She couldn't argue. No one would have listened to her anyway.

"Master, oh Master!" Zussya's voice dripped with sarcasm, singsonging. Upon a nod, Miriam's left arm was released, at the same time as he let go of her right, the only evidence that she'd been dragged against her will was the red splotch of the hand that had gripped her so tightly. It would guarantee bruise if she were so lucky.

Miriam fell in the midst, her arms just barely breaking her fall, yet she stayed utterly still. She was finally free but outnumbered, and now more then her captures had seen. She stood no chance of escape.

"Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act!"

Mavy gaped, stretching her arms up almost comedic-ally to shade Robert's eyes from the scene

Mavy gaped, stretching her arms up almost comedic-ally to shade Robert's eyes from the scene. He wasn't looking, surprisingly, his eyes fastened on his new purchase at the market. Estelle had been spending more time with Leah, who used her influence to join herself around the student-Pharisees, Samuel, one of them. "Go, go on..." Mavy urged, trying to switch from a disgusted look to a loving mother just to stay behind to watch what would happen. How absolutely vile. Robert didn't even look up, nodding as he continued towards their home, Mavy drawing closer, but not too close. She wouldn't want Miriam casting a glance at her and any of them knowing that they'd spent time together. Oh Miriam, her nose wrinkled.

"Now Moses in the law commanded us that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" Zussya continued the woman's life none of his concern. One track mind. Humiliate her, yes. But the chance to accuse Jesus trumped all.

Mavy wrapped her arms around herself, suddenly shivering. Surely they wouldn't! This was something she definitely would not watch. Disgust turning to mercy, she hurried away.

Joel looked over his shoulder at the widow, a small rock in his hand already. He almost felt guilty. Almost. Moses had told them in the law to put away evil from the midst of them. Didn't she understand that they were obeying the law? He swallowed the lump in his throat. If she'd seen him, he could wave his chances of making her his wife goodbye.

Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

"Well?"

Jesus looked straight at Zussya after being nagged a second time. "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." And again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. Mercy triumphed judgment, for those in Him who He drew.

And they heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest. Zussya looked around him. Alone. Cowards! He dropped his jagged rock into the dust at his feet, spinning on his heels, leaving Jesus and Miriam alone.

Miriam scrunched her face hearing the thud, expecting the next to strike her. Death by stoning. What a way to go. A tender voice the last she expected to hear.

"Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?"

She rose to a kneeling position, scanning around in shock. "They're gone, Lord."

"Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

Zussya and Isaac hissed angrily between them watching Jesus even as He approached with His men, Miriam still where they'd left her, adjusting her ripped dress, never minding the smudged makeup on her cheek, her eyes fastened on her Savior.