Chapter 35: Blackmail

🏃Clark's POV🏃

Nibbling on my bottom lip, I stared down at the paper in front of me. It was the general bird's eye view of the layout of Kev- Carl's place. Meaghan had given me the task of trying to create a floor plan of K- Carl's room.

Meaghan and I both knew that she would probably change it again afterwards but she wanted to see what I would do and give me the chance to receive some tips.

Still, I was incredibly nervous and took this way too seriously. I wanted to do a good job and prove to her that it was a good idea to invest this much effort into me.

I spent the next several minutes wrestling over what I would do before I finally started to put in the furniture and eventually general decor that we had discussed.

When over an hour passed, I found that I was finally finished and smiled happily. It was a simple drawing, consisting of more boxy shapes and words than actual figures. To most people, it wouldn't look like much. But in the eyes of an amateur interior designer, it meant so much more.

In my mind, I could actually see the manifestation of my designs and ideas in the room. The clean walls, comfy couch, light green fern, all of it.

I just hoped that Meaghan saw it too.

I looked up from my desk, a smile sitting comfortably on my face to greet whoever waited to speak with me. It dropped when I found Carl --fuck it-- Kevin standing in front of me.

I pulled my cheeks up into a tight smile and squinted my eyes as I looked up at the taller man. He grinned widely, seemingly loving my displeasure. I bit back a sigh.

"Hello. . . Carl." My eye twitched when his grin widened. "How may I help you?"

Carl shifted, stuffing his calloused hands into his pockets and pulling his shoulders back.

Intimidation, classic choice.

"Well, I do have an appointment with you and your boss, Clark." He said, licking his lips obviously and watching for my reaction. "Or did you forget?"

Kevin punctuated his question with a lip bite and dark smouldering look.

Sex appeal. His least effective ploy.

I leaned forward, allowing Kevin to peak at my now exposed chest. Kevin leaned forward as well, eager to hear what I would say.

"I can't be bothered to remember every detail about each customer Kev-" I cut myself off with a cough, hiding my smile when he paled ever so slightly. "Carl, I am a busy man. Besides, Meaghan isn't here right now. She's out so you'll just have to wait."

Kevin pouted and I hid my smug smirk. Over the last several weeks I have been getting the hang of dealing with my ex. When I was younger, I did not know who he was and had no idea what he was capable of. Now, I knew what I was doing.

Not only did I have months of interactions that I analyze to understand his pattern of action, but I have also done research about men like him to better prepare myself for the future.

If my plans worked, I could have him out of my life in less than 5 months. All without involving any of my friends. If they still were my friends.

Kevin mentioned something about going into Meaghan's office to wait but I barely was listening. My thoughts had already gone back to my friends, the ones I had pushed away.

The more time that passed, the more I wonder if I made the right decision. My fear was burdening them with the stress of getting the issue with Kevin under control. Now that I had though, I don't think that they would have been involved.