Chapter 11: Five years later

Start from the beginning

I had killed the only living being Hiccup truly cared for when he had nobody, and now? I know he'll savor every second of my suffering. Who knows what kind of person he's become now, one that I should be afraid of.

Currently I was sitting at my usual table and drinking done a mug of ale, attempting to forget about the fact that we all may die very soon. For all his... clumsiness and failures, Hiccup was still a human being, he's not perfect and neither are any of us. And I think that is one reason why we all treated Hiccup so badly, because we wanted him to be this... "perfect Viking heir." But instead he was born as a runt of the litter and we all hurt him in our own way, and now five years later, our past has come back to haunt us.

The doors of the Great Hall opened and I looked up to see my lover Sihtric, he quickly closed the doors to keep the winter blizzard outside, he shivered as he clutched his white wolf fur cloak tightly around his body, spotting me at our table, he made his way and sat right beside me. "Astrid." He murmured, he leaned in and kissed me, I closed my eyes and returned his kiss, once we broke off, Sihtric grabbed an empty mug on the table and poured himself some of the freshly brewed ale on the table and took a drink.

Sighing in contentment after taking his first drink, Sihtric turned to me and shook his head. "I still cant believe that Hiccup is alive, and a Danish king no less!" Humming in agreement at his words, I took another drink of my ale and pinched the bridge of his eyes. "That, and he has eclipsed us all in reputation, fame and glory!" Pounding my fist on the table in outrage by being eclipsed by Hiccup the Useless. My lover sighed and looked around the Great Hall to see only a handful of people drinking and warming themselves by the huge fire pit in the center of the room. "Everybody's on edge. We don't know what kind of person Hiccup is now." Sihtric began as he stroked his goatee and continued. "But undoubtedly he is consumed by vengeance and will stop at nothing to make sure we're all dead."

"Sihtric, I came here to forget about that fact, not to be reminded of it." I growled out, causing him to wince at my tone and apologize, he took another drink of ale and nodded. "Well, at least the winter buys us time to make prepare for an attack by Hiccup and his Danish allies." He said, I however looked at my lover like he lost his mind and pointed out. "Hiccup and the five other Danish rulers have millions of warriors and dragons under their command! Even if we sent a call for help to our allies, I don't believe we would win." I groaned out before burying my face into Sihtric's shoulder, he then wrapped his arms around me and kissed my hair. "I won't let him hurt you Astrid, I swear it." He promised, I just hummed in acknowledgment and held my lover as close as I could.

Odin help us all.

(Hiccup's pov)

"SHEILD WALL!!"

My warriors quickly formed a shield wall and I approached the wall smacked the rows of shields with my newly invented sword I named Inferno, it took quite some time to create on my spare time, but I finally created it, and it served me very well in battle, intimidating my enemies and to calm aggressive and wild dragons.

"Upon the overturned keel
Clamber with hearts of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
and your death is on its way."

I sang out and my warriors then got into their secondary defensive positions while still holding their shield wall as they sang the second verse of our shield wall song as they then began to engage in a heated sparring session with each other.

"Be strong though rain beats down
Upon your balding crown
With maidens you had your way
Each must die some day."

Our glorious city of Paris has served as the Danes capital in Frankia, it has taken the Black Danes five long years to conquer this whole new world for our people, we lost many good warriors and friends, but their sacrifices and deaths were not in vain. Every Frankish soldier or citizen that remained after our bloody campaign against their nation are now slaves to the Black Danes, to live out the rest of their lives in labor, our pleasure and our entertainment.