{24} Our First Day

:)

"No," I laughed.
"It really happened," Thomas exclaimed.
"That's not-"
I stopped.
"Okay, maybe for you it's possible," I laughed.
Thomas and I were sitting on the beach by our hotel. It was a nice night with lots of stars, and Thomas suggested that we go and watch the sunset.
The sun went down an hour and a half ago.
"So, you really blew up your mom's kitchen making Mac and cheese?"
"I don't really know how it happened," Thomas explained.
"I was boiling water and then I put the pasta in and then fire just shot up from the pan!"
I doubled over laughing.
"Fire, Tom?"
"Yes," he chuckled.
I sat up.
"Why didn't you tell me this when we were kids?"
"Well, I would rather forget that," Thomas said.
"But that's hilarious," I commented.
"Yeah yeah," Thomas said back.

Another half hour went by and it was starting to get late. It was 10:00.
I was lying down on the sand, my arms behind my head.
Thomas was next to me, about one foot apart.
"Teresa?" Thomas asked.
"Yeah?"
He sat up on his elbows.
"Can I ask you something?"
I did the same.
"Of course."
Thomas took a deep breath.
"We've been friends since birth. And even though we drifted this year, we found a way to come back to each other."
"Yeah?" I said.
"And...I've been thinking about us. If there was ever a time that we would be...bigger."
Oh no.
I remember I tried to have this conversation with Thomas a few nights ago. And it did not end well at all.
"Um...yeah. I've been thinking that as well. That's what I was trying to say a few nights ago..I just didn't know how to say it," I admitted.
"I know, I know," Thomas said.
"But now, I'm going to try."
"Tom..."
"Just listen," he said.
"Teresa, I like you. I like you a lot. And I see you as my best friend, the person that's always there for me. But until the other day, I saw something else. I felt something else between us."
I knew where this was going. I tried to do what he was doing but failed. And I've never felt more happy that he was doing something that I couldn't.
"I want us to be happy, something we haven't been in a long time," he finally said.
I didn't know he would be so straightforward but he was. He said the words that any girl would want to hear.
"Maybe, you wanna..you know..be my girlfriend?"
I felt tears at my eyes, but I nodded.
"Yes, you idiot," I laughed and threw my arms around his neck.
The rest of the night was the just the two of us. Alone, but together.
It was our first day here, but it was off to a great start. I tried to think of a time where I was as happy as I am right now, but I couldn't. But tonight made me realize that no matter how unhappy I am, or was, Thomas will always be there to make me smile, and that's exactly what he did.

*****************************