CH15: The New Team

Erik

The tables turned in no time. Bullets were flying from the two girls with deadly machines buzzing in their hands. I watched in both awe and terror as I stepped back with my hands instinctively cupping my ears. One, two, three raiders were put down. The sight of blood spraying in the air was repugnant. It stopped altogether when the third Blackmask was splayed on the dust bed. Gabriella and Jessica exchanged glances as if they were linked telepathically and agreed on when to withdraw their weapons.

"We have more ammo to spare," Jessica triumphantly yelled, blowing on the muzzle of her revolver.

"Yield," Gabriella simply ordered.

The men who were now either shot dead or cowering behind their motorcycles had their own weapons abandoned on the ground. Those who were left alive held their hands up as a motion of surrender and got on their knees even though no one had forced them. With their leader gone and having no chance against firearms, it was probably the best for them to listen to the ones with more power and of course, bullets. I could observe the sizzling internal chaos dying down amidst the gang. The fray was over.

"Please...no more," one of them spoke up. It was Smite. The man who had beaten up Soeun for giving him a graze on his thigh. I heard Soeun softly scoffing behind me, in Josiah's arms.

"We'll consider it on one condition," Jessica started. She walked up to the raider and pointed the tip of her gun at the man's head. "Willing to listen, or get busted?"

"Please," he squeaked. I was amazed at how the six-foot tall man could turn into a trembling ball with no dignity left in him before a woman he and his group had threatened to cut open in cold blood. In other words, Jessica was a badass.

"Alright, you coward. The only rule is never in your life dare follow us or seek revenge. If I ever see any of your hideous masks showing up in my sight, I will personally sever your head along with your mask and shove it up your ass. Understood?" She bellowed, cocking her head to one side. Man, I really liked this girl's audacity.

The Blackmasks nodded frantically as they collected themselves together and reached for their bikes. Jessica didn't allow that, though. "You got no tongue?" She slammed the butt of the gun on Smite's forehead. He lost his balance and fell on his back, grappling the dirt to scurry away from the terrorizing figure.

"Y-yes," he answered. Satisfied, Jessica swirled the revolver once in her hand out of habit and retreated back to us.

We were obliged to stay in that site of bloodbath until every last one of them were gone from our sight, leaving behind their fallen comrades. It did not seem like they were 'one body' as the now deceased Fynna Sharde had said after all. Solidarity could not be spotted from the fleeing backs of the masked bikers. Seeing them disappear completely, Mikhailov led a very blanch Nikole into their car and I turned my gaze away from the bodies while Ash emotionlessly retrieved one of the motorcycles from the dead raiders as her ride. Josiah and Soeun were resting on the ground, propped against the second trailer. Gabriella was fidgeting with her rifle like she had no idea what to do with it or what to do with herself in general.

"What now?" I asked to no one in particular. Everyone was in fact totally spent from the drama.

"I say we have some serious conversation," Josiah solemnly suggested. Right. There was still a lot that they didn't know. There was a lot that I didn't know.

"Not here, please." Soeun sighed. He looked sickly pale.

"Yeah. Let's take this somewhere else," Jessica agreed.

"There's an empty department store three miles from here," Ash spoke out of the blue. She was already seated on her dashing motorcycle smeared with crimson liquid and starting up the engine. Her thumb was pointed over her shoulder where the road stretched on all the way to the faint horizon. It was the opposite way from where the Blackmasks had fled to. She was a wanderer; though none of us were yet sure of her credibility, not one person objected to her suggestion as nobody else knew the geographical characteristics or (ravaged) amenities around this region better than this former raider.