CH13: The Monsters

※GRAPHIC VIOLENCE IN THIS CHAPTER※

Erik

A chill ran down my spine. The lodge was not a very big one. It had only one floor, and all it took to scrutinize the entire interior was a 360-degree sweep with the eye. There was no sign whatsoever of the man Jessica had mentioned, that Leroy Dawson, or the 'Elysian City Patrol team leader' quoted from her. The twisting sensation in my guts told me that there was something off. My life, at the same time, was in danger.

Nobody spoke for a full thirty seconds. It was either due to shock, an ill premonition, or downright distrust depending on that person's standpoint in this matter. Jerome King held the muzzle of his rifle high and turned to Jessica's direction. He was the one to break the precarious silence.

"You lying bitch," he snarled. "I knew you were bluffing. I knew you had something up your sleeves when you mentioned the ECP and all that bullshit."

Jessica took a step back and shook her head. "No, I wasn't lying." Her voice was indignant. She was being cornered but somehow remained poised.

"We don't see no goddamn City badge here, not even a single living soul," Jerome said as he aimed the end of the gun at my chest. I took in a short breath to prevent myself from panicking and tried not to cower. I knew that gun was loaded. His forefinger was locked on the trigger, too. One pull and I would be blasted to pieces. The power of his rifle was enough to do that and much worse if he decided to provide me a bullet shower.

Jessica stood in between the lethal instrument and my vulnerable flesh. She snatched the muzzle with her gloved hand and pushed the tip away to one side. Jerome widened his eyes behind the mask, taken by surprise at her dauntless move until a frown soon manifested to replace that expression.

"Don't threaten me and Erik like that, bastard. I said I wasn't lying."

"Really testing my limits, bitch." King yanked the gun out from her hand and connected the end of it directly with her forehead. I was about to step forward and reach Jessica's shoulders when he shot a minatory curse my way. "Move one step, and you'll see bits of this whore's brain." I was obligated to clench my teeth and plant myself on the creaky wooden floor.

"Please don't do this," I found myself begging. I found myself begging.

"What can I gain from that?"

"You want her alive. She shouldn't be your target," I pleaded.

"On second thought, having her heart hanging on my room as a trophy wouldn't be as bad," he growled. Neither Jessica nor I could respond to that without triggering the beast. I stood there helpless, unable to do anything. Like a complete idiot.

Salvation came from an unexpected origin.

"Stop this nonsense."

We all turned our heads to look at the pink-haired raider who had referred to herself as 'Ash' back in the car. She was not meeting any of our eyes but polishing the reflective surface of her silver dagger with a handkerchief in a nonchalant manner.

"What 'nonsense' are you speaking of, Ashlee?" King asked.

"That," she curtly replied, pointing at the three of us. She made a circle in the air in our direction like we were just a whole bunch of children making a commotion in her yard. Her expression was almost bored.

"What do you suggest we do, then?" Ash's peculiar behavior seemed to calm the unruly devil in Jerome King for some reason. He appeared to be puzzled and intrigued rather than affronted. The gun was withdrawn by then.