CH7: The Talk

Erik

"So." Doctor Mikhailov grunted. "What's the plan?"

We were all seated in the snuggest room there was in the bunker, each occupying a discolored armchair with armrests and a foldable table board attached. On my right was Jessica slumping lazily against the back of the comfy chair and chewing on a piece of bubble gum. The attitude. She had cast a bomb in our direction yet she was showing such a carefree behavior, like what she had previously suggested was not of any high significance. The doctor was seated right across her and Nikole was on his left, sending glares at me again. I pretended to be interested in my nails to avoid the malicious stare. I hated being intimidated by a 19-year-old girl, but then again, I was intimidated by almost anything. That was just who I was.

"The first part of the plan is to get to Grand Canyon. We bring all our stuff there, and I meet my broker with Erik first." Jessica blew a bubble and then popped it. She still reeked of nicotine and I absolutely despised it. Why smoke when you're badly hurt? Why smoke in the first place?

"Could you explain why it's you and Erik first?" Soeun inquired. I wasn't sure if he was questioning the reason behind us two meeting the man beforehand, or simply why I was included. He never liked me that much anyway.

"Our boatman asked for a young man accompanied by me for the payment, and Erik is that payment," Jessica answered. She shot me a glance but I didn't meet it.

"Wait, what do you mean by 'payment'?" I asked.

"As I mentioned before, dumbass, his condition was that I bring a man with me."

"'Condition' and 'payment' are very distinct concepts," I protested. I didn't like the fact that I was being objectified, like some kind of goods used in trade. Also, I was alarmed that I might just be excluded from the trip to Elysia if I was what that old man was looking for in order to send Jessica into the forbidden paradise.

"Well, my dictionary differs, then." She popped a bubble while facing me. "But you're going with me to Elysia anyway, so that doesn't matter."

"I need a guarantee," I demanded.

"How about my little silver friend as a guarantee?" Jessica stuck out three fingers in the shape of a gun and mimicked shooting an imaginary person in the air. Alright. She was saying direct life threats were channels of insurance. I had almost forgotten that it was still the same person who hadn't hesitated to shoot the conservative innkeeper for refusing us alcoholic and outlaw in.

"...Okay." I leaned back against the chair with an uncomfortable expression.

"You know that Grand Canyon is known for high radiation level, don't you?" Josiah interrupted.

"Don't you have suits and masks for that matter?" Jessica frowned.

"I...yeah. But not enough for all six of us. I have maybe three suits and five masks." He pursed his lips and shrugged.

"We won't be barging in all at once, so three to five is fine." Jessica sent an 'ok' sign with her fingers.

"Good, that's settled," Josiah massaged his own stubby beard. "Then what?"

"Then I ask him to bring all of you guys in," she replied, twisting her curls.

"That simple?"

"Yeah. I'm sorry if you expected drama and action. We're just gonna have a nice, long talk." Jessica smiled. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to end up being a nice, long talk. Just a long talk involving plenty of cursing and sound of bullets loading. Already, I felt sorry for her broker.