Chapter 20: You Don't Have It

"Anne!"

"Annalise! Where is she?! Where's Anne?"

"Anne!"

Lifting my head off the pillow, I stared at the window and then looked behind me to Kai who was asleep on his side with his back to me.

I stood and hurried out the room shutting the door behind me quietly.

Going down the stairs, I ran and jumped into Jolene's arms.

She held me tightly while crying and then pulled back to look at me, "God you look so healthy. What have they been feeding you?" She asked laughing and pulling me back to her chest to hug me.

I smiled and stared over at Thomas who was standing smiling over at me small and shy.

As I stepped from Jolene, I walked over to him and hugged him tightly, "It's good to see you again old man." I said watching him smile.

Chief Dariko headed down the steps and stared over at them, "The knife?" He asked.

His guards stood behind him and I looked to Jolene and dad. The both of them staring worriedly at me.

I watched as Jolene reached out and took my wrist pulling me behind her and Thomas, "Your psychotic sister stole it." She said furiously.

Oh no.

"You don't have it." I said softly.

She looked over at me and shamefully shook her head.

Dammit.

I sighed and stepped between them and up the stairs, Chief Darikos guards gripped my arms and they tied the ropes on my wrists, "Anne!" Jolene screamed.

Staring at Chief Dariko, I watched him eye me over, "Her sacrifice and bravery will admit you my alliance for your war. But in the light of you failing me, I will be taking from you what you and your people cherish most." He said before they yanked the ropes and pulled me up the stairs.

Jolene went to run up and Thomas did too but the guards held them, "Don't fight, it's okay. We need them. We need them." I repeated.

Both were shouting and fighting, "Take me! Take me instead!" Jolene screamed off the top of her lungs.

I felt my heart ache.

As I was pulled to a room, they shut the doors and I was tied to the hooks on the wall. "You'll be killed for tomorrow's dinner feast." Chief Dariko said sighing.

I gave a nod.

As long as they eat all of me, no blood left behind.

A few hours went by as I stayed tied up to this wall tired and bored.

I wish Michael was still in my head, maybe then he'd storm this place to make sure I wasn't killed.

No, I don't wish that.

I mean to be honest, being dead would solve a lot of my own problems. No worries.

I'm definitely just giving excuses now.

Zuri's scream was loud and my heart ached, "Anne!" She cried out loud heavily by the door.

Oh kid.

I sighed, "I'm okay Zuri, I'll be okay." I said back to her.

She was screaming and crying, "I won't eat her! I won't! You can't eat my friend!" She shouted.

Feeling my tear slip down my cheek and fall to the floor, I laid my head back and shut my eyes.

No crying Anne.

I'll think of those I've lost, those I'll join.

Kris.

Vesper.

Jesse...

Mom..

Mom.

I'll see you soon mom, don't worry.