Chapter 10: We Don't Mate With Vampires

I spent the day helping Zuri build a den or something. I'm not sure but she wanted a club house made of sticks and brought me a bunch of old ropes and piles and piles or sticks.

The kids stared at us carefully and from afar. Each of them weary and giving me stares of distrust.

Abe cut the rope and handed me a piece, "No not that one, the uh the one that's sort of bent." Faye said pointing to the pile of sticks.

Zuri eyed the stick pile and then grabbed the stick staring at Faye curiously, I tied the sticks locking them in place.

Faye brought the stick to the top and eyed Abe, "Rope." She said holding her other hand out.

He handed her a rope and she tied it up.

We had a pretty awesome looking fort/clubhouse thing built so far, it reminded me of the time Kris decided he wanted a club house for us all.

We'd stolen cash from our parents wallets and headed to the hardware shop and bought a bunch of nails, hammers and wood.

Of course only after we realized it wouldn't all fit in our wagon, Kris's dad decided to help us and we all helped him build our huge clubhouse.

I forgot about that thing until now.

It's probably still sitting in the woods behind our houses, catching webs and becoming a safe haven for mice and opossums.

Eyeing the stick on the floor, I looked to where I held and tried reaching for the stick.

My eyes fell to the small boy who grabbed the stick and held it to me with curious and scared eyes.

I smirked and took the stick gently.

Placing it on top another, I watched him take a string from Abe and hold it out to me.

I tied the two sticks together and rolled my shoulders. "See Ash, they're not scary." Zuri said laughing low and holding the stick in place as Faye tied it.

Ash, the young boy with dark brown hair and big brown eyes stared at me and then the sticks, "Which one?" He asked me going to the pile.

I eyed the structure, "Give me the curved one." I said pointing to the one by his foot.

He took it and walked over handing it to me.

The other kids stayed away, keeping their distance and avoiding staring for too long. They were still so afraid of us for some reason.

Maybe in time.

KAIS POV:

"She's really growing on Zuri." Talia said softly as she leaned forward slicing the carrots.

I nodded in agreement as I watched Anne laugh and watch Faye trip and fall on her ass.

They all laughed and Zuri was laughing the hardest I think she's ever laughed. She looked happy though, and seeing my niece happy made me happy.

She's still a stranger though, she's still a vampire, a blood bag.

'She's not a blood bag, she's my mate!'

No, you're wrong. She's not our mate, knock this shit off Shiko.

I listened to him as he growled back at me.

We don't mate with Vampires.

'You're wrong, she's ours.'

Yeah? Well try explaining that to her.

Staring ahead at Annalise, I sighed and looked to Imira.

Her eyes watching me in sadness, worry. I loved Imira, at least I believed I did, I thought she would be the one. There had to be no one besides her.

I grew up beside Imira, I grew up raised knowing one day it would be the two of us.

Why can't you love her too?

'Mate!'

No! Not our mate, Imira is our mate.

Fucking hell.

I stood and went inside trying to ignore the heavy guilt and anger in my mind.

A mate is not just someone who shares a soul with you, they share a bond that consumes them.

I can only hope this doesn't, I can't mate with a vampire.

I loath them. I loath vampires entirely.

MICHAELS POV:

It's almost too comical and ironic.

I leaned back in the chair staring at the same page I have been looking at for the last hour.

My mind tuning into all of her thoughts, she was thinking a lot about her past. I especially heard a lot about dreams, wishes to see Kris and Vepser once more.

"Michael, my love, come to me."

I moved my eyes from the book to the bed, my fiancé laid in the bed staring at me with a small and mischievous grin.

Oh Dahlia, you absolute pain in my fucking loins and ass.

It's you, the familiar sound of a rooster at six in the morning, nails scraping a chalk board and the screech of the fork across a plate, the absolute ache in my mind and the sickening in my stomach.

And yet....

Closing the book, I walked over to the bed and stared down at her, "Our wedding is in five days, I'm sure you can settle yourself down and wait." I said gripping her chin.

She stared up at me in fear before nodding once.

Good.

I hate desperate woman.

Shoving her face back to the bed, I watched her fall back into the blankets and I headed out the bedroom wanting to drown myself in blood.

My mind traveled back, to a familiar thought, one I kept crossing over since the dream.

Annalise in my lap, her body soft beneath my fingers, her lips roaming my neck before she bit into it and fed.

Staring down at the boner, I cursed and walked down the hall to one of the many guest rooms of this castle.

Shutting the door behind me, I locked it and ran my hand through my hair staring down at the bulge in my pants.

Wonderful, "Now what the hell am I supposed to do with you?" I sighed and sat down in one of the chairs unbuttoning my pants.

Debating my next move, more so that anyone would ever know what I'm doing, or find out what I do to get rid of these thoughts, I reached into my coat pocket and pulled out the photo.

Part of me wants her dead, the other wants to just have sex with her, to just finally see what the fuss is about. Then I'll kill her.

I don't know yet. We'll see.

Until then, I have a wedding to plan for.