Chapter 10: Siege of Paris

Start from the beginning

::By your command my friend::

Blaze then charged the Franks catapults and fired a superheated plasma bolt, the bolt ripped through the nearest catapult like it was nothing; sharp pieces of splinters flew in all directions and impaled the Franks manning them. When Hiccup and Blaze were in range, the Franks took out their crossbows and fired bolts at the duo, the young young quickly took out his Gronckle Iron shield and blocked the incoming arrow fire. He then activated his own crossbow mode inside his shield and took out an arrow and fired, the arrow struck the nearest Frank straight through the throat, killing him within seconds.

::So, Amma and Haesten's forces are to charge straight into the city and cut off reinforcements to support the Franks here?::

Blaze asked, Hiccup patted his bonded dragons neck gently and answered. "Correct. The Franks will believe that we're only trying to attack them here and will have no clue that the rest of our forces will be breaking the gates down until it is far too late." Returning his focus to the battle field, Hiccup had confidence that Queen Amma and King Haesten's forces would cut of Frankish reinforcements.

(Paris's main gate)

Finally reaching the main gate, Queen Amma and King Haesten, alongside their heirs— Princess Gunhild and Prince Cnut ordered their warriors to bring out the battering ram. The warriors under Amma and Haesten's command wheeled in the battering ram, soon the strongest warriors took hold of the ram's handles and began to pound the gate open, at this time, the Danes also brought a cage with them, so that their heads and bodies themselves would be protected from incoming arrow fire from above.

"Can you hear the sound of battle father?" Cnut asked excitedly, he then continued and shivered with ecstasy. "Ohhh, I cannot wait to slake my bloodlust!!" Haesten let out a chuckle and patted his sons back and replied. "You and I both my son. We shall battle soon enough." The battering ram was doing its job beautifully, the figurehead of the ram was a Night Fury and made out of Gronckle Iron, and when the ram once more made contact with the gate? The gate cracked and began to groan, causing the Danish rulers, heirs and their armies to draw their shields and weapons.

When the figurehead of the ram came down on the gate for the tenth time? The gate was smashed open the the Danes let out a battle cry and charged into Paris. The few soldiers that remained within the halls of the bride, were completely overrun and slaughtered, and soon enough? The Danes waltzed right into Paris with little to no fight at all. But that all changed very quickly when arrows whistled through the air and struck many of the Danes down, Amma turned to the armies behind her and roared out. "SHIELD WALL!!!" Soon, both Dane armies formed a shield wall and began moving slowly while letting battle grunts.

Peaking through the shields protecting them, the Danes could see Franks on top of the rooftops and shooting down on them from above, exactly as Hiccup said they would. King Haesten barked out orders for their archers to return fire, so, the archers within the shield wall had their comrades open the wall so they could return fire to the Franks. While this was happening, several squads of Franks passed through the streets but stopped as they saw the Danes shield wall.

The Franks then charged towers their enemies with every intention to drive the heathens out of their beloved capital city. But the Danes too had every intention to not be driven out without a fight, so when the Franks were close enough, the archers with the shield wall barked out commands to open the wall, when the wall was opened? Volley after volley of arrows struck down the Franks charging the shield wall, but the Danes soon broke the shield wall to engage their enemy face to face.

Gunhild led a group of shield maidens to engage a squad of Franks and push through them and enter the city streets. The Danish princess ran up the Franks own shield wall and began striking them in the backs and cutting them down, giving the other shield maidens under the princess's command an opening to break the Franks line of defense and pour right into the city streets and began raiding homes for plunder and other goods.